Recording with an AX8

John Egerton

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking long and hard about whether or not to but an AxeFX or an AX8.

I'm leaning in favor of an AX8 for the following reasons:

Don't need all the bells and whistles of the full-blown AxeFx
Portability
Can hook up to an active speaker and jam
I quite like to get hands-on with the dials and tweak on the floor
Kinda want to build my amp block and effects and stick with them

The only thing that I'm apprehensive about is that the USB interface cannot be used for recording.

I'd ideally like to be able to plug this into the computer in order to record direct and also use reamping features.

The question I have is this:

Does anyone use the AX8 for recording purposes and if so, what are you using in order to get around this? Are you recording via analogue out and maybe also recording also using a DI box for trying different sounds later?

As this is the only issue for me, I'd like to know if there is a good tradeoff as I see buying the AxeFx plus a foot controller overkill for my needs.

Thanks for all of your help in advance guys.

Kind regards,

John

I have been recording a demo for this past week, and the Ax8 has worked wonderfully. I set up my presets a little different for this purpose

Here is a screenshot
Screenshot%202016-04-16%2015.23.57.png

You see, I have two signals going to the FX loop - In row 1, I have a completely unprocessed signal - a DI signal. In row 2, I have my dry amp tone. I pan these two hard left and right (in the FX loop block), and send them to two separate inputs on my audio interface, and they become separate mono channels in my DAW. At the same time, I have 100% wet delays and reverbs going to the main output block. Those are sent to inputs 3 and 4 on my audio interface, and they become a single stereo track in my DAW.

So in my DAW, I have a DI track for re-amping purposes (have not tried that yet), and then a Dry track and Wet Stereo FX track. That will allow the mix engineer to decide how loud the wet FX should be in the final mix.

I think it works quite well.

Here is the preset https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10538417/Board Ax8/Recording DEMO.syx

The AX8 wasn't made with recording in mind. You'll have to run XLR out to your interface and that's no big deal.

Reactions: JTI
That looks like a perfect setup smitte. I think I'm also gonna try using the fx loop in to receive a dry track from then daw, this way I can record and then reamp without moving cables, just might have to move the fx loop block. Awesome.

I've only had the AX8 for a couple weeks, but so far, recording has gone well.

For a studio approach: I use a Focusrite ISA 1 to DI the unprocessed guitar (+direct out to AX8), and I use the AX8 S/PDIF out to record the processed signal. That way no changes or concessions to the preset routing or tonal setup are needed - and the analog outs can be used for direct monitoring. (Recording via the balanced outs sounds excellent too, if S/PDIF isn't available and you've got a quality interface)

For reamping: build re-amping specific presets routing a line level signal through the AX8 returns: (DI track - interface line out to the AX8 returns (IN2), re-amp, back out via S/SPDIF).

I seldom reamp, so its more of a studio habit to have a safety guitar track, and easier just to "outsource" the raw guitar DI, rather than have to make or adjust presets just for recording. The AX8 can re-amp, though not with the dedicated ease of the Axe FX II.

Last edited:
Hi artzeal,

Using spdif seems like a great solution to me.

Do I need to buy a fancy interface that has this input (I have a few that don't) or is there anything lost in terms of somethings more simplified like spdif coax to usb? It's all digital at this point right?

If not, I'll buy somethin like a focusrite Scarlett unless you recommend something better for this purpose.

Kind regards,

John

I've only had the AX8 for a couple weeks, but so far, recording has gone well.

For a studio approach: I use a Focusrite ISA 1 to DI the unprocessed guitar, and I use the AX8 S/PDIF out to record the processed signal. That way no changes or concessions to the preset routing or tonal setup are needed - and the analog outs can be used for direct monitoring. (Recording via the balanced outs sounds excellent too, if S/PDIF isn't available and you've got a quality interface)

For reamping: build re-amping specific presets routing a line level signal through the AX8 returns: (DI track - interface line out to the AX8 returns (IN2), re-amp, back out via S/SPDIF).

I seldom reamp, so its more of a studio habit to have a safety guitar track, and easier just to "outsource" the raw guitar DI, rather than have to make or adjust presets just for recording. The AX8 can re-amp, though not with the dedicated ease of the Axe FX II.

Hi artzeal,

Using spdif seems like a great solution to me.

Do I need to buy a fancy interface that has this input (I have a few that don't) or is there anything lost in terms of somethings more simplified like spdif coax to usb? It's all digital at this point right?

If not, I'll buy somethin like a focusrite Scarlett unless you recommend something better for this purpose.

Kind regards,

John
I'm not up on all the interface options: I'll leave you to do the digging as to what suits. FWIW, I did try a cheapo S/PDIF coax to optical box (designed for 24/96 HD home entertainment) since I've got optical in on the old iMac - that seems to works fine. A lot of the coax to USB are only 16bit, no luck there yet.

Focusrite Scarlett gets good marks, though I've not used one. Or maybe not rush into anything, and just record the analog outs for now and take the time to find the right interface that will be a long term solution.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure how to do the reamp thing with my current setup. I have a rme babyface interface. It's a good card with limited ins and outs. I have 2 line outputs that goes to my speakers, and 2 phones outputs. Thats all the line outputs. I would prefer to monitor through the speakers and hear the processed signal.

Can I use one phones output(stereo) to the IN2 on the AX8(mono, or split cable?). If I take one of the speaker line outs to IN1 on the AX8, will I have to use some kind of reamp box to transform the line signal(low impedance), to guitar signal (high impedance)?

any help or advice appreciated :)

hi guys. sorry for interuppting. i hve one question.i'm having a hard time recording using ax8. the ax8 recorded too much of picking sound. i dont think its my playing. didnt hve this problem using laney irt studio before. i'm using the xlr output to my focusrte saffire. thnk so much for ur help.tq

hi guys. sorry for interuppting. i hve one question.i'm having a hard time recording using ax8. the ax8 recorded too much of picking sound. i dont think its my playing. didnt hve this problem using laney irt studio before. i'm using the xlr output to my focusrte saffire. thnk so much for ur help.tq
Share a recording. The AX8 records what you hear, nothing more. Upload your recorded preset too.

I have been recording a demo for this past week, and the Ax8 has worked wonderfully. I set up my presets a little different for this purpose

Here is a screenshot

You see, I have two signals going to the FX loop - In row 1, I have a completely unprocessed signal - a DI signal. In row 2, I have my dry amp tone. I pan these two hard left and right (in the FX loop block), and send them to two separate inputs on my audio interface, and they become separate mono channels in my DAW. At the same time, I have 100% wet delays and reverbs going to the main output block. Those are sent to inputs 3 and 4 on my audio interface, and they become a single stereo track in my DAW.

So in my DAW, I have a DI track for re-amping purposes (have not tried that yet), and then a Dry track and Wet Stereo FX track. That will allow the mix engineer to decide how loud the wet FX should be in the final mix.

Here is the preset https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10538417/Board Ax8/Recording DEMO.syx

I never thought of that but that's very cool. Thanks for the share.

My bad, y'all. I meant that it wasn't made to be an all in one unit for recording (no interface capability) like the Axe.

FIX'D

I've been doing home recording for nearly 25 years and have never once reamped or wish that I had a dry track to do such. While I can understand the conceptual benefit, it's just never been an issue for me as I put in the time on the front side to ensure my tones are solid. Any EQ changes to fit the mix are done after and if I want doubled tracked tones I find the results way better in actually double tracking vs simply another exact performance with a differing gain or EQ treatment. The AX8 isn't an interface and honestly it looks like the trend is away from that (KPA nor Amplifire function in that capacity either), I simply run cables from the outs to my soundcard.

Agreed - If I had the AxeFX, I would never use it as an interface. I would feel completely locked to 48 kHz, which just does not work for me.

Here is a screenshot

Dropbox, says the file is moved or unavailable. Would you mind reposting it somewhere, I'm struggling to figure it out

Unfortunately, dropbox recently just killed their public folder. I believe I have a gigabyte of dead links floating around now.

I attached the preset.

Attachments

• Den lille lgn DEMO.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 62
Only had the AX8 a few days now, but recording with it is easy - just run the outputs into your interface. In my case I still use a console - so the AX8 just runs into the console (GSR24M) and the console feeds the interface (Orion32). If you are serious about recording you need a good interface anyway, so no use paying for another interface in the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom