Recording wet/dry intermittent issue

DrSharkula

Hi everyone. I'm having an intermittent issue recording DI and processed guitar tracks and while I'm not even sure this is an AXEIII issue I am hoping you guys could help me out. I am recording with Studio One (most updated version) on my mac and my sessions are on a 1TB external hard drive connected via thunderbolt. I usually record a processed track through Input 1 and a DI track through input 5 simultaneaously and usually don't have an issue. I ran a similar set up with a Helix when I owned one of those without issue. Every once in a while while I'm tracking, the processed track sounds like the DI track. Sometimes even just for the first half of what I just recorded and randomly sounds processed again halfway through. If I reload the session it's fine. I can go through for a while without an issue, but if I am trying to write a solo or something where I am doing a lot of takes it gets really frustrating. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I tried replacing the USB cable with no difference and tried different usb ports on my computer. My axefx III has the most updated firmware. Should I be running anything differently?

I haven’t heard of this before. Are these sessions in 48k? I couldn’t tell from your post if this problem is only during monitoring or if it’s also present during playback. If you playback one of the tracks that appeared to have an issue during recording, is the problem still there?

Sessions are in 48k. It's during playback that it's an issue. Reload the session and sounds like it should. Since my sessions are on my external drive I feel like it's some kind of communication issue between the hard drive and axefx.

If it's during playback, that's a DAW or computer issue. The Axe plays no part in the processing of tracks during playback. That's all handled by the DAW. The Axe just receives the final signal from the DAW to whichever USB outputs you are using.

Try copying your project files to your system drive and see if the issue goes away.

Ok I had a feeling it was likely not the Axe. I’ll try loading a session from my system drive. The frustrating thing is sometimes I can go long periods of tracking without issue, then it all of a sudden it’s every 5 takes. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom