Recording vs live presets

alexwong

Do people find they need very different patches (especially eq) for recording vs live? I find my recording presets are way to thin and bright for live use - Fletcher Munson etc I presume. I dont need a lot of eq in the DAW when recording but for live use, I'm really struggling to get the same patches to work. Some of the Pro presets are great recorded (like Pete Thorns Plexi patch) but bordering on painfully bright through a PA.

Do people tend to have separate patches or just compensate with global eq?

Thanks?

I've always found that live vs home/DAW are 2 different things. I think separate presets the best way to go. Save using the Global EQ for minor tweaks to suit the room if you can't fully fix it via FOH EQ.

How do you monitor yourself live? Are there other backline amps and a drummer playing?

It's always going to be the golden rule - dial your presets using the speakers, volumes and environment you plan to use them with. FM is certainly a factor but if you're using speaker cabs on stage the tight EQ band you use in a studio mix is likely to be hard to control as the volume goes up too.

My general rule is get the sound I want to hear from my stage speakers for a live situation - then the FOH/PA can fix it's feed to suit the room. My stage cabs are 'working' at their live volume level and the FOH speakers are also going to be 'working' at their live volume level ..... things should theoretically be closer between stage cab and DI feed that way.

Back
Top Bottom