Recording Violin with the Axe-Fx II?

MGoBlue

Inspired
My son plays violin and I recorded some of his songs for his Grandparents and Great Grandparents for Christmas. The only mic I currently own is an SM57 which proved to sub-standard for violin due to the high frequency roll-off of the SM57 relative to the high frequency content of the violin. The CD came out fine for the intended audience who can barely hear and certainly can't tell the difference but I am determined to make a proper sounding CD next year!

Step #1 is buying a reasonable condenser mic. Step #2 is getting a proper interface with phantom power for it. My current "interface" is a Line 6 UX1 with a mic input but no phantom power. I have been looking at various interfaces but it occurred to me if I only need 1 input, then why not just use the Axe? It probably has A2D's that are world's better than most of the affordable interfaces on the market plus it would allow me to easily add whichever world-class effects I want.

To do this, I think I would need a small pre-amp before I run to the Axe. I would appreciate any input on any or all of the following questions:

1) Does this sound like a reasonable approach or should I stick with the standard interface methods?
2) Would I want to run the pre-amp to Input 1 right or input 2 or doesn't it matter?
3) Any advice on the balance of output level of the pre-amp vs. the input level setting in the Axe?
4) Any advice on using a tube pre-amp vs a SS pre-amp knowing that I could use the Tube Pre model in the Axe to add the warmth?
5) Any recommendations on small, single channel preamps?

Thanks in advance for the input!

kerrlehr - thanks for the input on the preamps - I will look into those.

Have you considered a pickup on the violin? I believe this one would let you plug right into the Axe-FX…

Barcus Berry

randyman - Thanks for the input - I looked into pickups, but from what I have read pickups are best suited for people who wander the stage, but the sound is not as large due to the close mic'ing. I want to get some of the some of the room so I think a mic is better suited for what I am trying to do. But there is a lot of crap on the internet and this could all be completely wrong......

Oddly enough. I am currently learning the parts to a Fiddle piece on guitar to recording with my Aunt. She is a great player & has an acoustic violin & an electric. My intention was to record both instruments. I have a Focusrite 2i4 that I use to record acoustic guitar. I have 2 condenser mics & I will post up something when we get it recorded.

BTW.. we are going to record one her way ( Traditional arrangement & instrumentation) & one my way... Big guitars, drums, etc....

I understand… still, the new reverbs on the Axe can do wonders with a dry signal, and are a lot more flexible than room sound. Food for thought!

I understand… still, the new reverbs on the Axe can do wonders with a dry signal, and are a lot more flexible than room sound. Food for thought!

FWIW - I reamped the previously recorded stuff (dry) mentioned above with the Axe to try some of my ideas. Let me say that a violin through a cranked 5153 Red with some heavy delay and reverb sounds pretty righteous!! I got the eye roll from my wife, so I am guessing wyzyguy's aunt isn't gonna go for that either :).

Back
Top Bottom