Recording Via SPDIF

Pwrmac7600

Power User
So I have had my Axe FX XL+ for a few months now. I connect to my Digidesign Digi 003 rack Via SPDIF and use the Axe as the master clock. My sessions are set at 48k. But for some reason I always get little clicking sounds in my signal from the Axe. I thought it might be the cheap SPDIF cables I was using, so I ordered a new set of nice SPDIF cables. Still have the same problem. I switched my set up back and forth between the Axe being the master clock or the Digi 003 being the master clock, same problem.
When I record and have the guitars in the mix, you can't really hear the clicking sound. But when soloed you can hear it subtly there.
Anyone else experiencing this problem?
I will try and capture it today and upload a track of it.

Can you specify auto sync somewhere in the digi 003 or set its clock settings? I've had this years ago when I started using my fireface 400 via spdif.

I have tried it both ways, digi as the master, and Axe as the master, still get it. The only way I don't get it is running analog.

I run SPDIF all the time into my Lynx HILO and I would definitely run the Digi 003 as the master if that were what I was going into. Without hearing the pops that you are getting for myself I would say that it sounds more like a buffer issue and would play with those settings in your DAW.

Hope this helps, Chris.

I run SPDIF all the time into my Lynx HILO and I would definitely run the Digi 003 as the master if that were what I was going into. Without hearing the pops that you are getting for myself I would say that it sounds more like a buffer issue and would play with those settings in your DAW.

Hope this helps, Chris.
I actually was just reading in reference to the buffer size causing clicks and pops. Going to have to take a look and see how low i can get away with.

The following method requires 2 way spdif (i.e. 2 cables) between axe fx and interface.

Go to axefx front panel i/o and adjust word clock to 'spdif/aes in'. Adjust spdif/aes source to 'spdif'.

Adjust your interface settings so that it is the master sync source.

Not sure what DAW you're using, but I record from the Axe via SPDIF as well. I'm using Pro Tools, and in the hardware drop down menu, I select SPDIF (RCA) as the clock source. No pops, clicks, etc. Sessions are obviously at 48k and the output source on the Axe is set to SPDIF/AES. Hope this helps.

I go SPDIF into an interface (saffire pro 40). When, using the XL, I set the clock to "spdif"(vs."internal") on the interface menu, otherwise I get the "clicks".
When the XL is powered off I have to set the clock on the Focusrite back to "internal" or I get no sound (which reminds me to set it back again!):D

On the Axe, the word clock is set to "auto" and the spdif/aes select to "spidif"

Back
Top Bottom