Recording using line out's

Thanks for that tip! I'm going to setup all of my presets tomorrow with that tool. I was always sitting at the orange and banging the reds, likely more often than I should have...

I'm not 100% sure yet, as I've only fixed one preset and the issue seemed to have disappeared, but as soon as I've done the rest of them, I'll know if that fixed the issue. I did have that buzzing/distortion in a number of my presets, as I have the master in the amp block set to 4-5 and the level at 0db...

In this one preset I fixed, I brought the level control down to -10db, and the sound changed dramatically, with the buzz/distortion seemingly gone.

I can't believe I actually bought an audio interface when the Axe had it built-in... Lol. It's going back tomorrow...

Let the fun begin!

Thanks to all for all the help...I just love this place!

No other community like this one!

Your preset with a Cab block and IR is already a "mic'd cabinet". That's what the IR is.

Sending that through ANY speaker and micing it doesn't make any practical sense.

I wouldn't think so, either. But in practice, I was actually impressed with the results and preferred the miked recording.

I wouldn't think so, either. But in practice, I was actually impressed with the results and preferred the miked recording.

That oddly does sound great yet goes against all my instincts and recording foundations! :grinning: To prevent derailing this thread, I would love it if you had the time to post another thread where you go into detail of how you mic'd your monitors up and what gear you used please (i.e. mic and monitors)!

My guess is that the recorded monitor sounds good because in a mix you’d hype the guitars, and adding a second mic in that chain will probably end up hyping the highs in the same way.

Just a guess, so I may be way off, but that’s what I’m thinking now anyways

That oddly does sound great yet goes against all my instincts and recording foundations! :grinning: To prevent derailing this thread, I would love it if you had the time to post another thread where you go into detail of how you mic'd your monitors up and what gear you used please (i.e. mic and monitors)!

The monitor was a Mackie HR824. I positioned an SM57, about an inch away, on-axis, approximately midway between the tweeter and woofer.

Naturally the mic'd one captures a bit of the room/distance with it, while the other one is pretty much just a sterile IR.

Yes, spot on Overcaster. Pro IR's are generally sterile for good reason. We can always re-amp or re-record with mics to add distance, room reflections and perceived warmth, or mix a couple of IRs to get more depth. However taking the room back out of an IR would be pretty tricky...

Liam

Back
Top Bottom