Recording tube head with axe fx cab sims?

Yes, in the active version. There are two models: the LB-1 and the LB-1P. The LB-1P is just a passive loadbox. The LB-1 is a full-featured product that includes stereo IR processing plus effects and a whole lot more (I don't want to spill the beans yet). The load itself uses proprietary, custom-designed magnetics that mimic the dynamic impedance of an actual loudspeaker. I've been testing the passive version and it sounds much better than any other loadbox I've tried. No high end loss and nice, chunky bass response.
Clearly in the competition with the Frenchies at 2Notes, i like that :)

I like the idea of being able to add quality effects into the chain. Wondering if there will be a loop, like the Fryette Power Station has? I liked that concept, but the implementation was half hearted to me, as the "line out" does not get the signal from the effects loop -- only the dry amp signal.

How about an AxeFX and/or Ax8 size box, with most of the current effects in the AxeFx (4CM) and with this new load circuitry to replace the amp simulation (5th cable)?
I'm ready with credit card in hand! 5 cable me Fractal!

I think I got on with axe fx around version 12 about 3 years ago...
I dont want to exclude any former amps or efx that people use still but I would think some of the older versions
could be moved out of the boot to make some space but I dont know what all is involved I just rely on the pros in charge ..
Just a thought though maybe the older versions could be removed...

Yes, in the active version. There are two models: the LB-1 and the LB-1P. The LB-1P is just a passive loadbox. The LB-1 is a full-featured product that includes stereo IR processing plus effects and a whole lot more (I don't want to spill the beans yet). The load itself uses proprietary, custom-designed magnetics that mimic the dynamic impedance of an actual loudspeaker. I've been testing the passive version and it sounds much better than any other loadbox I've tried. No high end loss and nice, chunky bass response.

I've been selling off my remaining amps to cover bills and debt, but with this news I might have to hang onto a couple of the remaining "special" (to me anyways) amps to pair with the LB-1 or LB-1P.

Last edited:
You need our upcoming LB-1P load-box. The world's best load box. I've been testing the prototype and it sounds really good.
Just wanted to thank you for this, I hope it will have stereo outputs I can run back into an AxeFx II XL your tech is superior to Two Notes in my opinion and I like buying American!

ok cliff is reading my mind

last week I was using my torpedo live and I was thinking a fractal version with all the effects and IRs baked in would be awesome

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Is it possible to run an amp head through the axe fx 2 and using the cab sims to record to Mac or PC?
I guess using it like a the Rivera products?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)
You always gonna need a load attached regardless if whether it's a cab or load box, unless the amp has a build in load if you want to have silent recording.
If that's not a concern either have a tech install a line out or get a DI box that can take speaker level. And it'll work great.
So much so that you can set up the amp in fx. Loop block as well as an amp sim in the axe and cross fade between them with an expression pedal and the mixer block.

I was thinking that I need a Torpedo Reload for overdubbing it has a useful matching feature for DAW return level versus actual guitar level, will something like this be available in the LB1?

I was thinking that I need a Torpedo Reload for overdubbing it has a useful matching feature for DAW return level versus actual guitar level, will something like this be available in the LB1?
You have an Axe2 right? The load is so you can run the amp without the speaker. But you can already do what I think your asking.
Record Axe2 dry DI signal in addition to amp and when reamping use an fx loop block and axe2 input set to USB to send your DI signal back out to your amp.

You have an Axe2 right? The load is so you can run the amp without the speaker. But you can already do what I think your asking.
Record Axe2 dry DI signal in addition to amp and when reamping use an fx loop block and axe2 input set to USB to send your DI signal back out to your amp.
My point is to the signal matching feature of the Torpedo Reload, perhaps best showcased by Pete Thorn in his demo of the Torpedo Reload. It is a useful feature when reamping your performance using the direct signal recorded at the time of tracking the guitar performance. DAWs do not always return a sufficent signal level when reamping, I understand your point and do as you suggest but I would like an additional signal matching function when reamping like that available in the Torpedo Reload. This function is not available in the Torpedo Studio (an oversight on Two Notes account) that the new LB1 is competing with and since the Torpedo Studio cost $1800 or so the LB1 will be a better choice for those looking to buy in that price range.

Last edited:
My point is to the signal matching feature of the Torpedo Reload, perhaps best showcased by Pete Thorn in his demo of the Torpedo Reload. It is a useful feature when reamping your performance using the direct signal recorded at the time of tracking the guitar performance. DAWs do not always return a sufficent signal level when reamping, I understand your point and do as you suggest but I would like an additional signal matching function when reamping like that available in the Torpedo Reload. This function is not available in the Torpedo Studio (an oversight on Two Notes account) that the new LB1 is competing with and since the Torpedo Studio cost $1800 or so the LB1 will be a better choice for those looking to buy in that price range.
Not sure where you get the idea that DAW is returning signal at anything that you put in unless you make it so.
The issue is going from line level back to instrument level. And more importantly the associated impedance mismatch. But when you're doing it in the box like on the AxeFx it really isn't an issue. That was what was great in the Eleven Rack and us great on the Axe2.
But sure if you want it... All good

Excellent point Ed. And I know Cliff dosen't need people telling what to make. However "Two Notes" failed to include a function in their top of the line product that should be there. I own several Torpedo Studios and question why the Torpedo Reload feature (which is a much less expensive device) is not in the Studio!

I'm gonna guess that a stand alone bix that interfaces with a DAW through the audio interface rather than the Axe through digital/USB will benefit from it.
And I'm guessing the put it into their most expensive bix as a selling point. But yes it's weird.

I use an Apogee Ensemble for my audio interface and run the AxeFx XLR outputs into the Apogee. The Apogee also provides outputs on Dsub breakout snake. Of course I could just use USB as you have suggested and take a return signal from the Axe.

I presume you're on Mac then. I'd make an aggregate device so you can use the ensemble and axe at the same time.
I'm doing that with the Axe, UAD Apollo and Motu 896HD.

This is killer news. I've looked at the Two Notes stuff, but i'll be happy to go back into Fractaland and be a Fractalite again

Back
Top Bottom