Recording tone help! Tone tests inside

TheHumanMorgan

Could really use some tips with using the axe for recording which was my reason for purchasing. I've scoured these forums, with some advancement but quite minor. The clips posted are of a chorus I'm working on of new material. And have turned off the input gate since these recordings which has freed the tone up a bit. Excuse my playing. These samples were rushed.

Axe fx 2 xl+
Ernie ball music man axis super sport.
Presonus fire studio project (will be upgrading soon)
DAW- studio one

Anybody here got any tips for improving my recording tone? Like I said I've been up and down this forum and though a lot of links are expired there are some awesome recordings I've come across using the axe.

Also I am not looking to use any added EQ/comp/ect.. Direct in the axe grid. That will all be post prod. In the DAW.

Whoa the high end on the first sample almost ripped my ears out. I'd suggest you use a High Pass at 12kHz in the cab module to help tame a bit of that down.

You could also make good use of the preamp tab there and add a bit of Vintage (Neve-ish), Transformer (API-ish) or Tape 50u mic preamp distortion to help squeeze that tone a bit. Otherwise, I think it could work, but it's hard to judge recording tones out of a mix.

Try posting the track along with drums and bass, the bass will have a huge impact on how this fits.

i mean, i'm not sure what you are going for but there's wayyyy too much top end and gain. and volume. i mean, there is absolutely no dynamic range in that clip at all, look at the waveform!

Back
Top Bottom