Recording through multiple FW updates

I'm currently in the process of finishing my bands EP.

This has been almost a year in the making and the band just recently became a 'band' (as opposed to just a project).

I've been through many firmware's and have even changed my recording method throughout the course of writing and recording these songs.. Keeping the same overall tone, but making subtle improvements along the way..

The difference in tone from the first song I recorded to the latest one is not drastic by any means, but probably different enough for a seasoned ear to pick up..

What's the best way to go about this?
Should I re-record everything or should I just move along and have the tracks mastered?

Thats a tough one dude...........You are going to have to decide if your cool with it. Dont worry about it sounding different to a seasoned listner. Are you going to be ok with it? Sounds like these things could be cleaned up during mastering. Having said all that.... I would, speaking only for myself, would re-record the guitar. You cant take it back after it is out there and the Q7 is ******* rockin"! Good Luck with the EP! I would love to check it out!

If you recorded a DI of the performance, you could just re-amp.

This really depends though. Even from song to song, you may make slightly different mix moves to make the guitars sound how you want them to in context of that song.

So maybe the question shouldn't be how to make the guitars sound the same across the album. Rather - ask if the guitars sound the way you want them to in each track.

I always record a dry track because sometimes things in life get in the way and cause things to take longer than expected, so by the time I get around to finishing what I started, I usually want to start over again :eek:

I usually re-amp the dry tracks but I don't like every song to sound the same. I try to show off different instruments in different songs, so one song will show off Guitar, another Drums, Vocals, Bass... I think it makes the full album more interesting to listen to and not make all the songs sound the same and boring by the last song.

Thats a tough one dude...........You are going to have to decide if your cool with it. Dont worry about it sounding different to a seasoned listner. Are you going to be ok with it? Sounds like these things could be cleaned up during mastering. Having said all that.... I would, speaking only for myself, would re-record the guitar. You cant take it back after it is out there and the Q7 is ******* rockin"! Good Luck with the EP! I would love to check it out!

If my vocalist can tell an "EQ" "quality" difference between my earlier and more recent material, I think I need to redo them lol..

Fortunately the band is not very technical so it should be a piece of cake! I'll definitely post on here once it's done, hope you like hardcore lol.

If you recorded a DI of the performance, you could just re-amp.

This really depends though. Even from song to song, you may make slightly different mix moves to make the guitars sound how you want them to in context of that song.

So maybe the question shouldn't be how to make the guitars sound the same across the album. Rather - ask if the guitars sound the way you want them to in each track.

Unfortunately I did not do any DI's :( I only do that with bass because it's really straightforward on my Sansamp.

This is probably the best solution for all my future recordings..

So.. Sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but how exactly do you DI and reamp with the AFX2?

I record via SPIDF through a Focusrite interface.

Thanks for your responses! :)

Craft the tone to compliment the song. I would imagine minor differences between the tunes to be desirable but maybe not.

Unfortunately I did not do any DI's :( I only do that with bass because it's really straightforward on my Sansamp.

So.. Sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but how exactly do you DI and reamp with the AFX2?

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum about re-amping using SPDIF through an audio interface - I cannot link to it because I'm still considering a n00b and cannot post links, but its up there called "Guide: Re-Amping with external sound card/audio interface"

I'm wondering what you mean when you say you record SPDIF. SPDIF carrying the signal processed by the AxeFX? In the link I shared, the SPDIF gives you an unprocessed signal (the DI). Then you can re-amp by running that signal back through the AxeFX.

Check it out.

Recording is the main reason I was/am in favour of keeping the ability to select older modelling versions. So many times I've been asked to add a little part here or change a part there, long after the recording and it's tricky to get the same tone if you have updated. (I know there's a lot of discussion about it already and I'm not trying to bring it all back up again, just that it's a compelling reason for some of us.)

@atyourlasthourrr recording DI is easy. Set up a track in your DAW and set it to inputs 1 and 2, this will record your processed sound. Set up another track and select inputs 3 and 4 and it will record your unprocessed, DI sound. You'll want to make sure your second track is muted so you aren't hearing the DI.

Here is the link on reamping @lifexkills mentions.

moving forward, it's best to create backups of the Firmware Install file as well as all your presets using that firmware. put them all in folders organized by firmware and you can reload anything at any point.

the "Modeling version" NEVER changed every single thing to get you the previous firmwares' sound. keeping your own backups is the only way to do it.

the reality is if you want an album to sound the same, you need to use the same gear for the entire album. if you didn't record the dry stems, you'll have to re-record everything using the same firmware.

but if it's not drastically different as you say, then i'd just keep it as is.

moving forward, it's best to create backups of the Firmware Install file as well as all your presets using that firmware. put them all in folders organized by firmware and you can reload anything at any point.

Good point. That is a better (though laborious) approach.

I've recorded where I've used different firmware versions in different sections of the same solo. I can hear the difference, but nobody else ever said a word about it. I don't think most would even notice if I pointed it out.

My eye instantly went to 'a seasoned ear'.

Keep in mind that people are never going to hear the 'other' version of what you've recorded. 98% of people who would buy your record won't ask 'ooh, the amp could have been more saturated there...'

I'm more in the 'it sounds great...so LEAVE it' category. But we cannot decide for you what is the 'best' way to do this. If you want to over do it, then record it a few different ways, then listen over and over...the right track *for you* will stick out.

"A record is done only when you stop working on it" they say. This means that everyone can keep on working on a record forever, improving it and obsessing over it.

Another thig: there are a lot of pro records that have different sounds and no one complains. If the character is there, everything is good.

Last edited:
If my vocalist can tell an "EQ" "quality" difference between my earlier and more recent material, I think I need to redo them lol..

Fortunately the band is not very technical so it should be a piece of cake! I'll definitely post on here once it's done, hope you like hardcore lol.

Here's the Wiki link for re-amping:
* http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Reamping

Here's my Tutorial I wrote for my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen:
* https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7y0d1t78py5e4ri/AACbtdbjE5KZMQSS2Z_RI6Iha?dl=0

If you don't have the same Focusrite model, my tutorial at least shows the Axe-Fx II settings to record dry and re-amp tracks thru SPDIF. It also says how to setup the tracks in your DAW.

If you can't figure it out, reply and include the Focusrite model and DAW you're using. Also, if you could make some screenshots of the Focusrite Settings window and the DAW tracks, I'm sure someone on here will be able to help. Just make sure to take screenshots once you get it working, so you can quickly do it again. I have to reference my tutorial every time I record.

Here's the Wiki link for re-amping:
* http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Reamping

Here's my Tutorial I wrote for my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen:
* https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7y0d1t78py5e4ri/AACbtdbjE5KZMQSS2Z_RI6Iha?dl=0

If you don't have the same Focusrite model, my tutorial at least shows the Axe-Fx II settings to record dry and re-amp tracks thru SPDIF. It also says how to setup the tracks in your DAW.

If you can't figure it out, reply and include the Focusrite model and DAW you're using. Also, if you could make some screenshots of the Focusrite Settings window and the DAW tracks, I'm sure someone on here will be able to help. Just make sure to take screenshots once you get it working, so you can quickly do it again. I have to reference my tutorial every time I record.

I'm using the Scarlett 18i8 so your tutorial should be good!

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom!

I'll take the overwhelming advice to just leave the tracks alone as is unless there is a very noticeable difference in tone.

If I have any other concerns regarding DI I'll post back on here and let you know.

Thanks again :)

"A record is done only when you start working on it" they say. This means that everyone can keep on working on a record forever, improving it and obsessing over it.

Another thig: there are a lot of pro records that have different sounds and no one complains. If the character is there, everything is good.
Wow! I finished before I started... ;)

Back
Top Bottom