Recording the Axe Without Effects

Okay, I'm going to be brave and show my ignorance. My ProFire 2424 firewire interface does not have an option for 48k, and I don't think my DAW (PreSous Studio One) does either. It's 44.1, 88.2, 96, etc. Does the bit rate not have to match what the Axe is sending? How do I record at 48k?

Studio one can very well record at 48k, but you need to have the AxeII defined as its audio device first.

is it possible to record a dry and a wet signal at the same time?

cause i know i can record one or the other separatly by changing the source of the USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE to input(records dry) or output one( records wet)

thank you

bruno

I record how I want it to sound. Why build a sound, then strip it down, only to try to rebuild it with different effects? Seems like a waste of time and energy to me. Like you said, the effects are top notch.

I use very little verb in my presets, if any, so that might help, but delay is almost always done in line in the axe (exactly how i did it pre-axe as well.)

How much reverb do you guys use for rhythm parts versus lead parts? Both live and when recording?

I'm getting ready to start playing out again, and I'm thinking reverb, especially on a medium-high-gain crunch rhythm, will just muddy it up and get me lost in the mix. So I'm thinking of just using reverb and delay for leads. Thoughts?

I don't use reverb unless it's for effect when thinking about rhythm guitars. What I will do is bleed a very, very small amount of the rhythm guitars into my room, chamber, and hall reverb that I've set up for my mix. But that's only to get things to all sit in the same space together. It creates more of a feel than an audible difference. For example, the cleans in here make heavy use of reverb (interestingly, reverb with a drive pedal after each instance), but all the distorted guitars and bass have AUX sends (just so I can barely feel a difference) to the same bus that my drums are sent to (please excuse shitty soundcloud streaming):

The Axe-FX II operates as an audio interface if you install the driver and use the USB port to connect to your computer.

Once you've set that up, your multi-track software (Reaper in my case) will let you record 4 incoming signals from the Axe-FX. So... Set the input ports on four of your tracks to Axe 1, Axe 2, Axe 3 and Axe 4. Axe 1 & 2 are the left and right signal of your wet audio so pan them right and left to your taste (I do 100% L & R), and Axe inputs 3 & 4 are the dry unaffected L&R signals from the AF2. When you record make sure to arm all 4 tracks, then you will be able to use tracks 3&4 at a later time for re-amping as our friend described above.

Hope that helps.

Okay, I think I've figuredthis out now. Is the main advantage of having the dry tracks so you can listen to them in the mix as you reamp them, to get an appropriate amount of reverb that sits well with the mix? Then record it that way, rather than the way you set the reverb, etc., when just listening to your Axe preset alone?

That's why I use Spdif - because I want to listen to all my music when I'm reamping, not just the track I'm reamping. Just listening to the track I'm reamping is like being given organic pure maple syrup - and no stack of waffles.

That's why I use Spdif - because I want to listen to all my music when I'm reamping, not just the track I'm reamping. Just listening to the track I'm reamping is like being given organic pure maple syrup - and no stack of waffles.

S/PDIF into a computer? Hunh. I see in my Mac "manual" that it does have an S/PDIF input, which I didn't realize.

I'm not sure if I'm industrious enough to reamp, since I'd likely be recreating exactly what I'd normally input with the Axe, except slightly varying the reverb and maybe delay. Probably my needs are just rather simple. I'm happy if I can just write a decent song and solo and record a performance that doesn't sound sloppy. I kind of miss those carefree, 4 track cassette recorder days! I guess I'm aiming for that level of user-friendliness except with copy/paste, plug-ins, and without the noise. :)

For anyone reading this in the future, I'm reporting back on my experience. I recorded the same thing on the Axe with analog XLR connection into my firewire interface at 88.2k, then with the digital through USB at 48k. The Axe's native 48k was hugely better, and louder as well. I then mixed both test tracks down to 44.1k, and the digital version was still far better than the analog.

As far as recording wet and dry stereo tracks at once, I may look into that at a future date. I found the USB drive file, but not sure how to open the driver's control panel. But I don't want to reamp anyway, would probably be simpler to just record it without reverb and delay and then add them to sit in the mix later with either plugins or running it back out to the Axe. I'm not making stuff for release by a major record label, though, I'll probably just continue to record with the excellent reverbs and delays in the Axe.

recording i only record dry usally. only on tracks with heavy effects where the effect is really part of the sound im recording wet.

you always can go back and record only the wet signal via reamping and mix it along

Back
Top Bottom