Recording Techniques?

Bill-RTP

Inspired
Happy Holidays!

I somewhat recently upgraded to the AxeFXIII and have had several live shows already which were successful, I'm happy to report. I also enjoy recording stuff, and the AxeFX really does make a nice audio interface and integrates well with Presonus Studio One. For those that do a lot of recording, are you finding that you're better off recording guitar via USB directly into your DAW, or do you use a recording interface and connect the AxeFX via 1/4" cables/XLR? I also recently picked up a Motu M4 and really like it a lot, but the AxeFX would have to connect to it via XLR or 1/4". Quality-wise I don't really notice a difference either way, but I'm sensing a very slight delay when recording via USB. This delay could be my imagination, but I thought it might be worth asking what everyone else is doing when recording guitar.

So the summarized question.....
AxeFXIII --> USB2 --> DAW
or
AxeFXIII --> 1/4" / XLR --> audio interface --> USB3 --> DAW?

Thanks!

Bill

I prefer to run things all into the same interface, so, your second option. I find it simplifies things to have one place to go to deal with I/O. YMMV.

I use an interface because i don’t want to run everything with the axe when I don’t use it , as I record vocals , drum parts etc it’s easier to have a soundcard . And the monitors in the soundcard, not in the axe

USB, makes re-amping/capturing DI's a breeze!

I just set up an aggregate device in my Mac so I can use both my Focusrite Scarlet for vocals and my III for guitars/bass and playback.

USB is easier for me, especially when reamping, but there's good reasons to use an external interface too. It can sound great either way so it's mostly personal preference.

I've always used my RME and the AES inpuy for Axe-FX. Key reason I avoid an aggregate device is that I use several software synths regularly and like to keep my latency as low as possible. I read that aggregate devices sum the latency of both devices or something to that effect. (Don't recall exactly how it was worded.) Plus I don't reamp anything. I can generally get what I want when I do the take, then make minor EQ tweaks to get it to sit in the mix right with other tracks. If I don't have the basic tone down when I track something it just doesn't feel right to me.

I have my III running in this configuration
Guitar --> Axe Fx III --> XLR to TRS + S/PDIF --> Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen

I use the S/PDIF connection for recording DIs and reamping while the XLR to TRS connection is for wet tracking since I require additional inputs for other instruments and mics. Either configuration will work fine unless you require additional inputs, then an interface is the way to go.

The delay is likely caused by non-direct monitoring through your DAW rather than direct monitoring through the Axe Fx itself since it's delayed while you're recording. Try running your Axe Fx directly through your monitors with only recording enabled in your DAW if you are not already. If you are already direct monitoring then I too am confused. :confused:

I have my III running in this configuration
Guitar --> Axe Fx III --> XLR to TRS + S/PDIF --> Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
See configuration #5 in the recording guide. You might find that works better for you. It will permit DI and wet recording and re-amping, all in the digital domain.

Axe Fx direct to computer (USB); mic to Steinberg, which outputs to Axe Fx, so vocals go through Axe Fx USB also.

Hi bud

I have not read the other replies but to share my experience:

I use the Axe via USB exclusively for recording guitars, bass and vocals. As the Axe supports Direct Monitoring, you should hear zero latency when recording; do not turn on Monitoring in the DAW. If you want to record the amp\cab and the effects placed before the amp, so not the modulation effects such as delay (better controlled in the DAW unless really required), then take an output just after the cab and record that output in the DAW. This way you hear the glory of the Axe, all of its effects but you are only recording the Amp/Cab and everything before it.

My advise would be to get used to recording a DI along with your normal track or DI then reamp via the Axe. The benefits here are:
  • You have a DI to edit if after recording you notice a mistake.
  • You can alter timings.
  • You can edit the Axe whilst listening to the guitars in context and then commit. You also benefit from not hearing the acoustic tone of the guitar whilst trying to get your sound.
  • You can always reamp the guitars again later if\when Fractal release an update that improves the tones in the Axe.

And one that comes in very handy and I am currently using:
* If you record scratch tracks or entire songs and are too lazy to tab them out. When you return later to relearn the track, its easier to learn from the DI than from a track layered in distortion or effects.

I use the last one a lot. I just purchased a Surround Sound system and had a song from 4 years ago on my phone. I streamed the track to my soundbar and instantly I wanted to record it again (the song was recorded with the Kemper). Can I remember how to play the song......nar LOL

I found the Axe routing really complicated for my needs but once I wrapped my head around it, I found it to be a very rock solid audio interface.

Take care

Mike

I'm sensing a very slight delay when recording via USB
Depending on what you mean, this could be a few different issues.

If you're experiencing delay while playing, you should switch to direct monitoring i.e. connect your speakers and headphones to the AX3's outputs. This way you can play and monitor with effectively zero latency, but it requires you to have the AX3 turned on to use your speakers for other tasks.

If the guitar tracks you record are out of sync with the rest of your track, that is because the Fractal units don't accurately report their latency to the OS, so the DAW cannot compensate for the latency, so your tracks end up sounding out of time. The Fractal team knows about this and is working on updated drivers to fix it. In the meantime, I use the patch cable workaround test method described here each time I start up a project, enter the opposite of the returned latency value into Logic's latency compensation box, and that works perfectly: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/latency-compensation-measurement.177851/. I just leave the short patch cable connected permanently since I don't use input3 or output3 for anything anyway.

Depending on what you mean, this could be a few different issues.

If you're experiencing delay while playing, you should switch to direct monitoring i.e. connect your speakers and headphones to the AX3's outputs. This way you can play and monitor with effectively zero latency, but it requires you to have the AX3 turned on to use your speakers for other tasks.

If the guitar tracks you record are out of sync with the rest of your track, that is because the Fractal units don't accurately report their latency to the OS, so the DAW cannot compensate for the latency, so your tracks end up sounding out of time. The Fractal team knows about this and is working on updated drivers to fix it. In the meantime, I use the patch cable workaround test method described here each time I start up a project, enter the opposite of the returned latency value into Logic's latency compensation box, and that works perfectly: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/latency-compensation-measurement.177851/. I just leave the short patch cable connected permanently since I don't use input3 or output3 for anything anyway.
Not sure if this is the right thing to do, but I deal the the latency issue by lower samples to 64 when recording (using FASUSBAudio Control Panel). (I have it at 1024 for mixing/mastering. That seems to do the trick.

Is there a better way to deal with latency issues?

Not sure if this is the right thing to do, but I deal the the latency issue by lower samples to 64 when recording (using FASUSBAudio Control Panel). (I have it at 1024 for mixing/mastering. That seems to do the trick.

Reducing the Fractal USB buffer will reduce its latency, but ideally this would be irrelevant if the unit correctly communicated its latency to the DAW the same way all interfaces do, so that the DAW could correctly compensate for that latency. Regarding the Fractal buffer size for mixing/mastering: there is no need to change this setting for this purpose. I think you're referring to increasing your DAW's buffer size, which will reduce the load on your CPU (nice for mix/master), at a cost of higher latency (which is not really relevant during post). If you're not noticing your recorded tracks from the Fractal units are out of sync then don't worry about it. I'm not sure if this is an issue for Fractal on Windows as I only use my Windows PC for gaming, but it is definitely a significant issue for recording with Fractal units with USB on Mac right now.

Last edited:
I've done it every way but now find myself doing everything analog. Xlr into soundcard. Even reamping is analogue. I never have to fiddle with menus and it sounds identical to me.

If you monitor direct and set your latency compensation preference, you can leave your audio buffer size to 1024, even when recording guitar. That will give you better cpu performance in your DAW and you won't have to fiddle with changing the buffer size.

You'll find instructions for monitoring direct here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

You'll find instructions for latency compensation adjustment here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/latency-compensation-measurement.177851/.

Like strabes says, reducing your buffer size can help with the latency compensation, but it's easier and more effective to just set your DAW preference.

Back
Top Bottom