Recording some black metal. What to use?

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
Hey guys! I know nothing about black metal tonez, but I am currently in a black metal project. (rather atmospheric actually). I'm playing a Parker Fly Classic in drop B. What kind of amps and cabs would you recommend?

Thanks guys!

The secret behind blackmetal tones resides sometimes in not so great tones. Try unconventional amps, maybe a highgain amp with a small cab. A clean amp with a small cab and a highgain distortion in front, messing with the bitrate maybe.

Black metal? Is that anything like sintered metal, or cast metal? Then, there's forged metal... whew! You haven't lived until you've played forged metal <grin>

Seriously, I'm curious - it seems like there are more categories of metal than there are brands of guitars and amps, so the only requirement is you use metal strings, then make up your own name for it.

Black metal? Is that anything like sintered metal, or cast metal? Then, there's forged metal... whew! You haven't lived until you've played forged metal <grin>

Seriously, I'm curious - it seems like there are more categories of metal than there are brands of guitars and amps, so the only requirement is you use metal strings, then make up your own name for it.

This is true. It has mostly to do with the types/styles of riff that are predominant in the music, but also to do with the type of vocals, and the overall mood of the music. I played in a band that was dubbed technical death core...as opposed to you know..simple death core I guess haha, but I always hated that about metal fans (myself included). We categorize music very intensely.

I've always liked Nachtmystium's tones and I believe they use Mesa Triple Rectifiers and tons of reverb.

EDIT: My former band mates play something along the lines of atmospheric/ambient black metal and their guitarist uses an orange head. Not sure which model.

https://blightfl.bandcamp.com

Hm, I had my black metal time, but only as a listener, I never really played it. But if I remember correctly those guys love deep, boomy and quite highly distorted tones, especially those who play atmospheric music, which is what you do aswell. So I think the Mesa Rectifiers could do a good job.

Oh, I just saw, that NickCapp also mentionned Rectos :D

I got some good results by messing with this patch recently: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=3927 The guy who made it modeled it after the In the Nightside Eclipse album by Emperor. I turned down the presence and adding a hi cut of 10000 in the cab. More noise gates and a little less gain as well. Turn down the Tone in the drive block. Turn the Enhance width slightly down.

If you want something more on the lines of Alcest or Agalloch, I have a patch I use to use back in FW 17 that I can try and update.

Last edited:
All you have to do is tune your guitar down which you already have. Now tune your 6th sting to A and Max your gain and use a couple 4x12s.

Throwing the term black metal on an internet forum can sometimes yield undesirable results. I would ask you what are some of your favorite black metal bands? That could gauge more what you're after. Black metal bands tones range so wildly from mild to extreme high gain.
FWIW most blackmetal I enjoy is actually not detuned at all. Thats a 2000 on on type thing. 90's black metal didn't really do that.

Ihsahn from emperors guitar tone sounds like shit to be honest but the production as a whole makes it come together so well. Its spooky as fuck. Fast forward to his solo work now, that tone is fantastic and he uses 8 strings with a saxophone and its fantastic but not spooky at all.

I like HBE 5153 and JVM for what I would define black metal type tone. tube screamer in front. 4x12 cab. The usual stuff.

Your playing style is what brings out black metal in an amp more than anything. I'd say as long as you're out of fender twang territory, all of it could fly as black metal.

I've always liked Nachtmystium's tones and I believe they use Mesa Triple Rectifiers and tons of reverb.

also lots of heroin and ripping everyone off for a lot of money all the time.

but really though, I'm pretty sure most of the high gain amps will work well as long as you add a lot of reverb, especially if you're doing atmospheric stuff. I haven't really listened to a lot of it but that's the impression I get from what I've heard.

thank you guys :) "I would ask you what are some of your favorite black metal bands? " well, I don't really listen to black metal haha! :D .. I mean.. I just started making it without any apparent influences :) It's weird though, feel like this composition I've made is some of the purest I've ever written. And people love it, it's great!

Quorthon of Bathory used a JCM800, if I remember correctly.
IF that's the sound you're going after.

But hey, it's black metal- use whatever the hell you want XD

Id just go with something close to a 5150 and add a lot of reverb to the leads.

But then again i never cared for the lo-fi stuff anyways haha

What I generally hear in black metal isn't huge bass, it's usually more like Marshall type tones that have a very grinding quality to them. I'd start with the JMP-1 based models like the Brit Pre or the JMPRE models. They have that JCM900 style grit to them that should be pretty good for some corpse painted shenanigans.

thank you guys :) "I would ask you what are some of your favorite black metal bands? " well, I don't really listen to black metal haha! :D .. I mean.. I just started making it without any apparent influences :)
In that case, how do you know your metal is black at all? Or even metal for that matter... It might be folk music for all you know, if you're completely void of context.

I was goofing around this past weekend getting some old school, 90s black metal tones. I was thinking what a "cheap" set up would be, which is pretty much what Burzum did. Pull up some clean amp with a small cab and then put a some distortion pedal in the front. Add lots of reverb. Done.

If that's too broad of a suggestion, you'll have to share what bands you're trying to sound like. Black metal tones are usually regarded as "shitty and shrill" and there is a HUGE range of what that sounds like. You can also just do some research for gear rundowns of your favorite bands. I remember reading somewhere that Burzum literally used computer speaks and a distortion pedal to record their first album.

Back
Top Bottom