Recording/re-amping Question

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
I usually run Pro Tools LE o my main computer - but as that doesnt allow 3rd party hardware, I cant run the AFX2 via USB - I can only run my audio in.

So - I set up reaper on my laptop, and I have configured it fine. I can play a track back via the AFX (headphones) and play along - OK. i can record both dry and wet signals - fine. i can re-amp the dry signal fine.

What I dont understand - as theres only one stereo return, is how do you re-amp that dry signal while listening to the backing track at the same time. I dont see a way - and its kind of needed or once the point of re-amping. you still cant play around and get a sound that suits the track without playing the track.

It may be something Im missing - like neading another ASIO hardware device, wich MAY allow me to assign OP1/2 to the AFX (dry track) and OP3/4 to the other device for monitoring (and obviously playing the now wet results of the re-amping into another track also sent to OP3/4).

is that what I have to do or is there another way. Also for those who know, can I use the MBox2 I have as that other device with reaper in a W7/64 bit OS system? I know I cant use Pro Tools LE on that laptop but I may be able to use the MBox.

At the present time, you can't reamp while listening to the mix using the Axe II as your only interface. It's one of the major limitations unfortunately. You can get around it on a Mac by creating an aggregate device with another interface. That's how I have it set up and it's been working fine.

On Windows, you can try AISO4ALL. I don't have direct experience wth it, but I've heard the latency makes it pretty much unusable.

Shame that :(

Im still trying to decide what to do re-recording. My main PC is a single core XP machine running PT LE7.3. I dont need anything more than that so have never upgraded. However, my laptop is a dual core W7 machine and PL LE 7.3 wont run on that, nor will it support 3rd party hardware.

So - I can crossgrade to PT10 (or 9 if I can still find any packs) and that will sort both problems - though its costly if thats all I want it for. The other option is buy Reaper (Ill still in the trial phase) and run that as well. It will run on the Laptop fine and allow the AFX2 as my interface. Id need to run both as my plugins are all RTAS so Im tied to the PT format (as far as im aware).

I had thought of running my main workflow on the XP machine in PT, then transfering files to the W7 machine in Reaper for guitar tracks. I guess I can still do this - and then for re-amping Id go the old fashioned way. That is to take the files back into PT - and pan everything Left i want to monitor, and the dry guitar track right - which would feed the AFX2 normal rear audio input. At least I can get a dry track easier that way. I used to split my patch so a split was taken at the first block with a row of shunts and panned left - this was my dry track. the main op was panned right and was my wet track. TBH Im not sure I see any benefit of running Reaper and the AFX2 via USB if I cant monitor a track while re-amping that way. The only advantage is firmware updates- but i can still do that via the MBox/Midi.

Hopefully Cliff will get round to making the USB 4x4 not 4x2, and allow both pairs of channels to be allocated separately (so 1/2 can go to USB I/P while 3/4 are routed to the output).

Back
Top Bottom