Recording Question

Map488

Hello guys/gals,

I have been using my FX8 as just a stompbox basically for quite a while now and recently decided to get into recording but am struggling. I am under the impression that the FX8 CANNOT be used as an audio interface. Is this correct? Assuming so, could someone point me in the direction of what I need to use with FX8 to record into my computer?

What I'm trying to do is use the gear I have...

-Schecter Hellwin Head
-FX8

...and record/play more quietly through studio monitors (already owned).

Could anyone help me with how I would go about doing this? I'm completely new to recording and am not super familiar with what I'll be needing hardware-wise to accomplish this.

Thank you for your time!

the FX8 is not an audio interface.

a complete electric guitar sound includes a "preamp sound", a "power amp sound", and a "cabinet sound." to simplify, i'll refer to these simply as preamp, power amp, and cab. it needs all 3 of these things.

a typical real guitar amp head with separate cab already has these - the amp is the preamp and power amp, and the cab is the cab. before the amp you can use distortion pedals. in the amp's Effects Loop, you can use reverb pedals. these are additional things, not part of the "core tone" - the 3 things i mentioned above.

the FX8 is an additional thing. it can be the distortion pedal and it can be the reverb pedal. it is not a preamp, power amp, or cab.

therefore you can't record just the FX8 since it is not a preamp, power amp, or cab.

you'll need to record a real amp the traditional way - put a mic on the cab. again, it's because the FX8 is additional gear and not one of the 3 "core tone" components.

to play more quietly and/or through your studio monitors, you'll need a separate device that takes the Speaker Output of your amp (which is the preamp and power amp parts of the 3 core tone components) and puts it into a "load box" which will help simulate the cab part of the core tone. Fractal just released a product like this, and there are other simple DIs and products that do this too.

remember that the FX8 is simply an effects pedal with multiple effects. it does not simulate or replace any of the 3 core tone components. it's an additional thing. the easiest way to record would be to plug your Amp Head into a Guitar cab and record it with a mic. otherwise you need a Load Box or similar to get the very high powered Speaker Level signal of your Amp Head down to a Line Level signal. do NOT plug your amp head directly into your studio monitors.

Back
Top Bottom