Recording Question...can anyone help ???

lj045637

Inspired
Hi,

I am recording via USB with my axe fx 2 into Logic with following features:
a) stereo preset - output 1 mode : stereo
b) input put level adjusted to my guitar -> 32.2%
c) no output clipping on my axe fx 2 (-> no red light)
d) no clipping in logic
d) sample rate set at 48kHz

My preset sounds great and wide when played through my studio monitors, but the recording sounds very scratchy and digital.

Can anyone help to understand what I am doing wrong ?

Here is a sample of a short riff:
https://soundcloud.com/john-longhino/test-guitar/s-jq8N5

Would be glad if someone could help, would like to finalize some song ideas during my holidays :)

Thanks,
John

The tone you listen to while playing isn't the same tone you listen to when you record..
The best thing to do is to dial a tone for recording..

The preset I used is one of Sfogli's presets and I strongly assume he used that one for bis recordings...sounds hudge when played but recorded it sucks.

The tone you listen to while playing isn't the same tone you listen to when you record..
This is absolutely true. I've never understood it.

Maybe try reamping so you can get the tone you want as you hear it.

This is absolutely true. I've never understood it.

Maybe try reamping so you can get the tone you want as you hear it.

When you play, you listen to strings vibrating and the whole resonance from guitar to your body..
It's kinda the same that happens to your voice..

Last edited:
Are you listening to the recorded tracks through the same amp and speakers? What is your monitoring setup for tracking and playback?

Also, if you are recording to a mono track, make sure you are not getting some weird phase cancellation by combining the left and right outputs.

Last edited:
Are you listening to the recorded tracks through the same amp and speakers? What is your monitoring setup for tracking and playback?

Also, if you are recording to a mono track, make sure you are not getting some weird phase cancellation by combining the left and right outputs.

Yes, studio monitors are connected to axe fx. Recorded as Stereo track.

Well...I would like to record the tone I am listening to...therefore I bought the axe.
What would be different with that "recording tone"? How can I transform my preset into a recording preset?

I'm sorry that you haven't gotten the results that you want so far, but countless recordings prove that there is no fault with the Axe when it comes to getting great tracks, something else is amiss here.

I'm sorry that you haven't gotten the results that you want so far, but countless recordings prove that there is no fault with the Axe when it comes to getting great tracks, something else is amiss here.

I share your view...maybe Settings in Logic ? Will try to record the analog output via an audio interface...
Any idea from your end what could cause this sound mismatch? To me it sounds as if the signal input in logic is too high and thus impact on the tone.

The recording sounded ok to me. Do you play and listen to the recording at same volume level?

Do you play and listen to the recording at same volume level?

I tweaked the settings in Logic in order to get the same volume level...the recording level was much lower. I think your question is heading the right direction of the problem regarding the tone difference.

I have been tracking a lot lately with the XL and Logic and have noticed the same thing. Sounds huge thru my Sennheiser 650 phones during tracking but on playback the 'hugeness' is not there. It's not a track volume level issue. I have experienced this with Axe as the audio interface and I now use a RME Babyface as I must finish some 44.1 projects and the latency, w/conversion, was too great with the Axe.

I know that the quality is easily there with the Axe, algorithms, reverbs, stereo spectrum but I too am missing some 'element' or secret to tracking what I hear. If what I hear is 100% pristine (and it is) what I record and playback is maybe 40%. A good time to note I only track thru the phones. Perhaps if I fired up the Adams monitors my presets would be tweaked differently.

I have been tracking a lot lately with the XL and Logic and have noticed the same thing. Sounds huge thru my Sennheiser 650 phones during tracking but on playback the 'hugeness' is not there. It's not a track volume level issue. I have experienced this with Axe as the audio interface and I now use a RME Babyface as I must finish some 44.1 projects and the latency, w/conversion, was too great with the Axe.

I know that the quality is easily there with the Axe, algorithms, reverbs, stereo spectrum but I too am missing some 'element' or secret to tracking what I hear. If what I hear is 100% pristine (and it is) what I record and playback is maybe 40%. A good time to note I only track thru the phones. Perhaps if I fired up the Adams monitors my presets would be tweaked differently.

Thanks, mwd...I needed this...now I feel relieved that I am not the only one :)

Dear power users...how can u manage to record hudge sounding guitar sounds... Please reveal the secrets:)

Back
Top Bottom