Recording problem

jyflorida

Power User
I was asked to do a lead track on a friend's song this past weekend. We ran a standard mic cable from my mono-out on the Fractal to a M-Box, into a PC running Pro Tools. The tone was extremely fizzy & for whatever reason, nothing I could do short of the guitar's tone control would tame it. It almost reminded me of running with no cab block, but I always use cabs & have cab sims on since my live setup is FRFR. Sounded fine running direct into his monitors and my headphones; it was just going into Pro Tools that we had a problem.

I'm very new to recording - in fact the last time was 15 years back!! I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this sort of thing. Thanks!

Hi!

That's weird. My way of recording is just to plug the Axe to the PC with a USB cable. Works perfectly (and in stereo without effort).
Mat be it's just levels that are not adjusted well?

I also record direct to computer via the USB connection. Works like a charm. Unless there is a reason your computer can't handle this setup, I'd give this a try. I keep the path as simple as possible, which can help reduce problems. Good luck!

I'll see if he'd be open to plugging the Fractal into his USB port and load the driver. His computer is an Asus, built from scratch specifically to handle recording. Thanks for the replies!

Sounds like the MBox input was set to Mic level and had a preamp engaged.

You might need an XLR -> TRS adapter to get into the line level inputs of the MBox.

In a pinch you could run into a mic input. I've done this at a festival show. I just had to lower output 1 on the front panel very very low.

It wouldn't be my first choice for recording though.

Also, the MBox has S/PDIF in too doesn't it?

Depending on which model, yes. And if so this is definitely the way to go if you can. If not and he is happy for you to install the drive, use USB. Keeping the Axe signal in the digital domain is definitely the best way to go.

Sounds like the MBox input was set to Mic level and had a preamp engaged.

You might need an XLR -> TRS adapter to get into the line level inputs of the MBox.

In a pinch you could run into a mic input. I've done this at a festival show. I just had to lower output 1 on the front panel very very low.

It wouldn't be my first choice for recording though.

Don't know if it does or not - I'll check with him before our next session & get the cables if he can go that route.

I always record via USB. The driver has a small memory footprint, and by going this route you'll avoid the unnecessary D->A->D conversion. I've had great results into ProTools, Logic Pro X, and other DAWs.

i live stream and record using the Axe XLR or 1/4" outputs to an interface and it sounds exactly the same as using the on-board USB. there are no special circumstances to overcome using analog outputs to record.

Did you try checking the Sample Rate of your Pro Tools session? its possible that its reverting to 44khz which would make everything sound like doodie... check that out b/c it NEEDS to be 48Khz to work properly.

Did you try checking the Sample Rate of your Pro Tools session? its possible that its reverting to 44khz which would make everything sound like doodie... check that out b/c it NEEDS to be 48Khz to work properly.

He may very well have had a mismatch. I'll mention that the next time we get together.

Hey Jay!. I wuz in Lk.Pan @ the Dam pub Sunday afternoon with the CashOnly band.
Maybe we'll hook up sometime..I'm in Fruitland Pk. (missed your get together, out of town)
I'll be @ Brownweed Square (VIllages) on Nov. 28th with the Flashbacks Band. come on by a say hi bra.

It sounds like he was only connecting analog outputs to the Mbox. In that case 48k isn't required.

jyflorida, the Mbox mic preamp could have been overdriven. Try a 1/4" instrument cable to an Mbox line input instead.

It sounds like he was only connecting analog outputs to the Mbox. In that case 48k isn't required.

jyflorida, the Mbox mic preamp could have been over-driven. Try a 1/4" instrument cable to an Mbox line input instead.
Thats true. I personally use the AES connection with my Axe so i am always dealing with 44Khz vs 48Khz. Thanks for clarifying that. it must be something else then.

Yeah, next session I'm going to go digital. Overall we did get the highs tamed and got the tone to match my FRFR but it took time and frustration. Definitely a live & learn situation!

Back
Top Bottom