Recording oops. Need advice. Pro tools, Global EQ, Bass

exleper

Inspired
When I first got my Axe-Fx II I went to the output menu and pulled down the 31 and 16K slider on the EQ based on some recommendations from other users. Basically take out the extreme low and high freq. My guitar sounds great for live and studio work. Here is the problem, I began recording bass for the first time and I got 6 songs tracked.
I started doing some mixing and realized that the bass doesn't have the low end I expected. Then, I remembered pulling the EQ freq out on the global menu a long time ago. So, now I don't know if I have to redo all the bass tracks or is there a way in Pro tools to fix it? Or, should I not worry about it? What frequencies does that slider pull down with it? The nearest slider is 63 so what happens between 31 and 63? I am worried about having nothing in the 40-60 range. Any advice would be appreciated.

The global EQ has a range of +/- 12db, so if you had the outer two bands all the way down, you would need to boost the 31 and 16k frequency bands back up by 12db to get back close to a flat EQ. The tricky part is matching the bandwidth (Q) of each slider to properly cancel out the previous cut. Those outer bands might be high and low shelf filters as well, which would require different setting in protools to cancel out. Cliff would be able to provide more details for the global EQ configuration. Your safest bet would probably be to reamp the tracks back through the Axe with the bypass preset (all shunts) and set the global EQ flat, but push the 31 and 16k sliders up instead of down. Probably won't be perfect, but it should get you pretty close to cancelling out the first eq'ing since you'd be using the same EQ model to boost it back.

Probably a bit late for this instance, but this is a good reason to record dry tracks along with the wet takes so that you can re-amp later on if need be.

Do you know if there is a plugin or something that will show what frequencies are in use? I might be able to do a before and after to compare maybe a verse. I use pro tools 10.

Back
Top Bottom