recording midi events into DAW

edo

Power User
Vendor
I can only find info on how to send midi events from DAW to AF, but I want to do the opposite: I want to record a midi track with scene changes, exp pedal performance etc while I record a DI track for reamping. How can that be done? I assume I'd have to make a midi track in my DAW (Logic Pro) and adjust some settings in the midi block, correct?
Thanks in advance for any help

I think you'll need to connect the MIDI Output of the Axe-Fx to the input of a 3rd party MIDI Interface.

Reactions: edo
I can only find info on how to send midi events from DAW to AF, but I want to do the opposite: I want to record a midi track with scene changes, exp pedal performance etc while I record a DI track for reamping. How can that be done? I assume I'd have to make a midi track in my DAW (Logic Pro) and adjust some settings in the midi block, correct?

Simply connect your midi controller to your DAW and record those midi events into a midi track while you're playing and recording the audio, including the DI. Turn on monitor for that midi track and set the output to the AxeFX so you can hear the changes in the AxeFX while you play. That way, when you re-amp, the midi will be sent to the AxeFX to recreate your performance. Unless you're doing something unusual, there shouldn't be any need to adjust anything or use a midi block on the AxeFX.

Reactions: edo
Simply connect your midi controller to your DAW and record those midi events into a midi track while you're playing and recording the audio, including the DI. Turn on monitor for that midi track and set the output to the AxeFX so you can hear the changes in the AxeFX while you play. That way, when you re-amp, the midi will be sent to the AxeFX to recreate your performance. Unless you're doing something unusual, there shouldn't be any need to adjust anything or use a midi block on the AxeFX.
Great info! I am also trying to do what the OP was asking. Tried it with Reaper and was able to record the midi while having it control the Axe-Fx. Hadn't thought of going that route before so thanks.

Another question. I have an FC-12 with EV-1 pedals for expression. I'm wondering if you can have a modifier controlled by both a midi track and also the FC/EV. So in the event a track fails, you can still manually have the expression pedals function.

I think you'll need to connect the MIDI Output of the Axe-Fx to the input of a 3rd party MIDI Interface.
To add to this, what I ended up doing was buying a small form factor USB Hub and also an iConnectMIDI2+. Both are permanently mounted in the back of my rack.

Connections are something like this:
1. Axe-Fx MIDI DIN In/Out plug into the iConnectMIDI2+MIDI DIN In/Out
2. Axe-Fx USB plugs into the USB Hub
3. iConnectMIDI2+ USB plugs into the USB Hub
4. USB Hub plugs into either computer, iPad, whatever
5. Also plugged a Bluetooth MIDI adapter into the iConnectMIDI2+

This allows the computer/iPad/whatever to see what is going on from the Axe-Fx MIDI DIN Ports by way of the iConnectMIDI2 over USB. And also send MIDI to the Axe-Fx via USB/Bluetooth/DIN. Axe-Edit on computer can connect via USB, or if using iPad, FracPad can talk to the Axe-Fx via USB or Bluetooth. BandHelper and other iOS apps can use Bluetooth if I don't mind a very minor un-noticable delay. Or USB if I need to. For example, I've done scene change automations where I had the iPad connected via USB. And other times just simple patch changes which worked fine over Bluetooth.

Amazon Links:
Amazon product ASIN B001H7AFO6Amazon product ASIN B00MRFG3PCAmazon product ASIN B01CFOHF6U

Sorry for bringing this up again, but I did some experiments with no luck so far... I have the af3 connected to a MacBook Pro via usb, running logic X, and trying to record both the processed stereo audio track (input 1-2, working fine), the DI (from input 5 -working fine too), and the FC12 midi performance (scene change, exp pedal action - and this one doesn't work). I made an external midi track, but I think I have to adjust some settings in the af3 and in logic to let logic record the midi events. Any clues?? Thanks

Sorry for bringing this up again, but I did some experiments with no luck so far... I have the af3 connected to a MacBook Pro via usb, running logic X, and trying to record both the processed stereo audio track (input 1-2, working fine), the DI (from input 5 -working fine too), and the FC12 midi performance (scene change, exp pedal action - and this one doesn't work). I made an external midi track, but I think I have to adjust some settings in the af3 and in logic to let logic record the midi events. Any clues?? Thanks

The AF3 doesn't send MIDI data over USB, it only can receive via USB. So Logic will not see it at all. Secondly, even if you have the AF3 connected via the DIN ports to where it can send MIDI, I don't believe what you do on the FC-12/EXP pedal will be transmitted via MIDI either. I did a bit of testing with this myself and couldn't get anything to show up in my DAW. So my assumption based on what @GlennO stated is recording a performance would have to be done with an actual MIDI controller that is changing scenes/volume/etc... In this case, NOT the FC-12/EXP. I could be wrong and hopefully I am. But ran into the same issues.

As Chad says, that's not right. See my instructions above. Record from your midi controller into your DAW.

Well, the point is that I'd like to record the actual performance (audio and midi) to be able to reamp preserving all the midi events from the original take.. I'd rather not use a different midi controller - unless I have no other option..!

Well, the point is that I'd like to record the actual performance (audio and midi) to be able to reamp preserving all the midi events from the original take.. I'd rather not use a different midi controller - unless I have no other option..!
I completely agree and would love to do the same; but don’t believe it’s possible at this point in time. It would be great to have an option for the AF3 to echo out what the FC is doing via MIDI. Like, if I have the FC change a scene, whatever corresponding MIdI event I have programmed to change a scene is sent out. And so on...

I completely agree and would love to do the same; but don’t believe it’s possible at this point in time. It would be great to have an option for the AF3 to echo out what the FC is doing via MIDI. Like, if I have the FC change a scene, whatever corresponding MIdI event I have programmed to change a scene is sent out. And so on...

Let's ask in the wish section then!

That's not gonna work with the fc series controllers.

I really wish midi worked over usb like it does on the axefx 2

That's right. The OP didn't mention FC in the original post, so I gave an answer for a midi controller. I use an FC300 and it works great for this.

I think it can be done with an FC, and that's what I think Matt was hinting at. I believe it's a bit convoluted though.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if @AlGrenadine could work this into FracPad. Since FracPad is aware of changes that occur in the AF3 whether done by Axe edit, FC, front panel... etc.... it could then send those back out via MIDI so the DAW could record them. This would of course require you have everything mapped out MIDI wise first. Just a thought. Or maybe it can already do this?

I’m wondering if @AlGrenadine could work this into FracPad. Since FracPad is aware of changes that occur in the AF3 whether done by Axe edit, FC, front panel... etc.... it could then send those back out via MIDI so the DAW could record them. This would of course require you have everything mapped out MIDI wise first. Just a thought. Or maybe it can already do this?
FracPad only receives sysex messages from usb or midi ports of the axefx... If it does then your daw does

Then I'm doing something wrong in the connections / midi input setup in logic....
No because axe-fx-3 only sends sysex when requested. It only answers sysex requests and doesn't send sysex on various events like gen2 did

No because axe-fx-3 only sends sysex when requested. It only answers sysex requests and doesn't send sysex on various events like gen2 did
Does FracPad poll? Example. I have FracPad running, I bypass effect from Axe front panel. FracPad then shows the effect bypassed.

Back
Top Bottom