Recording Level in Logic

lj045637

Inspired
Hey there,

I am recording via USB from my AXE FX 2 intro my MacBook in Logic Pro X. Unfortunately my recording volume is much lower than my monitoring volume (connected studio monitors to my AXE FX).
Tried to tweak in Logic's mixer feature but nothing helps...any idea how I can handle this problem?

Thanks,
John

Hey there,

I am recording via USB from my AXE FX 2 intro my MacBook in Logic Pro X. Unfortunately my recording volume is much lower than my monitoring volume (connected studio monitors to my AXE FX).
Tried to tweak in Logic's mixer feature but nothing helps...any idea how I can handle this problem?

Thanks,
John

Hi John. The USB level can be manipulated by turning up the master gain on the global 1 output.

After you get the kind of signal to print on your track, you can turn the knob down on the front to control the amount of signal for monitoring through the analog outputs.

It is also possible, your amp block level or cab (or some other output level) in the preset is low, and you are able to make up the volume difference just fine for monitoring, but those settings are resulting in low USB signal. You should strive for UNITY GAIN by checking the input and output levels in the UTILITY menu. Hit the Utility button and page over, I believe, two times to the right, to see the level meters. If your output level 1 is low, this will translate to a low USB output to the LOGIC track.

I have a rather complex set up and use the effects loop (output and input 2) for other gear. But I am able to achieve unity in and out to output 1, and I actually have my output 1 master gain set to either -6db or -9db - I'm at the office, and can't recall, since I set up this whole situation about 18 months ago, and it works great for me. I get a nice healthy signal to LOGIC tracks.

Not sure if this is your issue,

But the USB dry recording level out of the AxeFx is suitable for reamping back into the AxeFx. As such, the dry out is a very low level signal. Think of plugging your electric guitar into Logic but adding zero preamp gain. It is a guitar level signal.

It may seem too low in the DAW, but if you route a track like this back into the AxeFx for reamping, it works like a champ.

If you are used to using a conventional DI for dry guitar tracks, then the AxeFx dry track will seem way lower.

If you really need a conventional DI track for other reasons, other than reamping with the AxeFx, then you would need to record the dry track conventionally; not using the USB dry out.

As was stated, your friend is OUTPUT 1 level control (on the Axe). You really have NO control inside of logic in terms of the input levels. They are managed by your source, your sound card, and possibly your sound card's DSP mixer software.

Low means that the monitoring volume is twice as high as the recording volume. I have tried to increase the volume in Logic, but this gap still remains. I going with a wet signal into Logic, therefore no reamping.

Low means that the monitoring volume is twice as high as the recording volume. I have tried to increase the volume in Logic, but this gap still remains. I going with a wet signal into Logic, therefore no reamping.

I was just telling my co-worker here that exact same thing. what I'm hearing in my headphones is a lot louder than how it's recorded. I'm going to look into the advice given above when I get home. thanks for asking and starting this thread.

The usb connection allows for 4 tracks at the same time. Tracks 1 and 2 will be the axe out 1 signal, tracks 3 and 4 are re-amp. I only bother arming track 3 for reamping. Yes, that track is literally like plugging your guitar into your mac with no preamp. The signal wav form is tiny in Logic.

Follow the post I made earlier to print a hotter signal to your tracks. The 3 and 4 will remain unchanged, since they bypass the axe fx grid.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I tried the reamping method today, but the effect is unfortunately the same...
Could it be a Logic issue ? I am perplexed that this issue has not been raised before.

hi vinnieRice, I am using Logic X as well...so your monitoring level and recording level are identical ? are your using the axe fx as sound card or do you use a separate interface?

Make a very simple preset - with just an Amp and Cabinet. Record with usb, arming inputs 1,2,and 3 on 3 individual tracks, or 1 and 2 on stereo, as the case may be.

Put the master gain on the GLOBAL 1 EQ at 0 db.

Turn the amp's level output in the amp block up until the output 1 clip light flickers, then back down the amp output level and little for headroom.

You should have a healthy signal recording on inputs 1 and 2. Again, the re-amp signal recorded will be very very low. But it still works fine to re-amp back through the Axe FX. I use it all the time with Logic 9

Understood your chain of thought, but by increasing the amp volume also the monitoring volume will increase and the gap will remain.
would it be possible to monitor via out 1 and record via out 2? if yes, how ....

hi vinnieRice, I am using Logic X as well...so your monitoring level and recording level are identical ? are your using the axe fx as sound card or do you use a separate interface?

To and from the Axe via USB, record Inputs 1 & 2 in LogicX, monitors from Analog Stereo Output 1 of the Axe. Really straightforward. The overall monitor output level is controlled from the Output 1 trim on the front of the Axe. When I'm overdubbing I just balance the output level from Logic using the on-screen output fader in relation to the guitar signal which of course I'm monitoring direct from the Axe (turn off input monitoring in Logic to do this).

Back
Top Bottom