Recording latency in Logic Pro X

Superska

Hi all,
I noticed a subtle latency in recording tracks or reamping them with my AF3 (48k with buffer size set to 256 on Logic and on AF3).
So I set Input 1 Source to USB 5-6 on AF3 and created an audio track in Logic with Input 1 and I/O plugin.
In I/O I set Output 5, Input 1, PING and it calculated a latency of +1005 samples, then I set my recording delay in audio setting to -1005.
The problem seems solved but I noticed that PING it's not fixed, it changes everytime I switch on my AF3 or just from a preset to another.
Is that normal? Is 1005 samples latency too high?
Thanks

When reamping I get between 1100 to 1350 samples in my system. I/O is useless when detecting latency for tracking because it only detects the roundtrip of the (already) recorded signal coming from and back to Logic.

Edit
I realize, when using the Axe as the only interface, the plugin might make sense given the latency you get if you're monitoring via software. In my case I don't have any problems when tracking with USB because I'm monitoring myself via hardware with another interface.

Last edited:
When reamping I get between 1100 to 1350 samples in my system. I/O is useless when detecting latency for tracking because it only detects the roundtrip of the (already) recorded signal coming from and back to Logic.

Edit
I realize, when using the Axe as the only interface, the plugin might make sense given the latency you get if you're monitoring via software. In my case I don't have any problems when tracking with USB because I'm monitoring myself via hardware with another interface.
Thanks AJ, AF3 is my only interface and I don't use software monitoring.
Well, I/O is ok just for reamp track, then how do you count the latency for a standard track or for 2 tracks recorded simultaneously (i.e. one wet track and one DI track for future reamping)?
When I record 2 tracks (i.e. IN1 and IN5) it's seem to be delay even between the 2 tracks!

I do not recommend input monitoring from Logic. Just figure out a way to monitor the session audio from Logic, AND the audio from the Fractal and mix them so you are hearing the direct audio from the Fractal. I have a 6-channel 1/4" input mixer with a headphone jack I paid $80 in 1994 for it.

Thanks AJ, AF3 is my only interface and I don't use software monitoring.
Well, I/O is ok just for reamp track, then how do you count the latency for a standard track or for 2 tracks recorded simultaneously (i.e. one wet track and one DI track for future reamping)?
When I record 2 tracks (i.e. IN1 and IN5) it's seem to be delay even between the 2 tracks!

I ran my reamp track through the axe fx with an amp and cab preset - no reverb or delay, then I lined up the offset and then I entered that offset into the latency samples.

I ran my reamp track through the axe fx with an amp and cab preset - no reverb or delay, then I lined up the offset and then I entered that offset into the latency samples.
Ok, in case of standard recording (no reamping) with AF3 as my audio interface, how can I measure the latency?

With the I/O plugin you can send and return the ping so it goes through the Fractal and comes back and tells you the latency. I used a simple preset with just the input shunted to the output and checked the latency and I also made an amp and cab and checked that as well.

after you set up your audio settings to account for the latency, you can send logic’s click through the fractal and record the Click and see how closely it is aligned to the grid. Remember, it is the click, so it should look as accurate as a bounce of the click to an Audio wav file if you have the latency set up properly.

With the I/O plugin you can send and return the ping so it goes through the Fractal and comes back and tells you the latency. I used a simple preset with just the input shunted to the output and checked the latency and I also made an amp and cab and checked that as well.

after you set up your audio settings to account for the latency, you can send logic’s click through the fractal and record the Click and see how closely it is aligned to the grid. Remember, it is the click, so it should look as accurate as a bounce of the click to an Audio wav file if you have the latency set up properly.

Again, that method measures the roundtrip latency, and it's useful for reamping, but the OP needs to know how to measure the input latency in his system because he's experiencing problems with the allignment of his recorded tracks.

The DI track from USB IN 5 is unprocessed. The wet track from USB In 1 is going through the grid and all your blocks for processing. Some of those blocks add latency and the amount will depend on what exactly you have on the grid. Some amount of offset between the two is expected.

All, I'm following this thread because I plan to start recording demos, jam tracks, etc. at home and have found the discussion helpful. I am planning to use my AxIII as my audio interface and run Logic Pro through my Mac. I plan to use a drum plug-in and mainly record guitars and bass and perhaps some keys. My question is what other equipment and software I need to accomplish what I describe above. I want to keep it simple but avoid latency and other issues as much as possible. I truly appreciate your advice as to what is simple and works well for my intended use. Thanks all.

Again, that method measures the roundtrip latency, and it's useful for reamping, but the OP needs to know how to measure the input latency in his system because he's experiencing problems with the allignment of his recorded tracks.

The DAW needs the round trip latency to do the alignment when recording, even when not reamping.

I’m not sure there is any problem being reported in this thread. The recording delay seems about right, considering the buffer size being used The OP reported that fixed his alignment problem. He reported a lag between his DI and wet audio. Again, that’s to be expected.

All DAWs need this round trip latency number for recording. This is how it is measured.

The general process is to generate a sound from the DAW, send it out through the rig instead of your input source and record that sound back into the DAW.

Reassuming:
  • It's normal to have a subtle latency between DI and wet rack recorded simultaneously
  • The "I/O plugin" method works to calculate the latency with every type of track (standard or reamp)
Right?

Reassuming:
  • It's normal to have a subtle latency between DI and wet rack recorded simultaneously
  • The "I/O plugin" method works to calculate the latency with every type of track (standard or reamp)
Right?

Yes, that's right. Looking through this thread, I believe everything you've encountered is to be expected.

Yeah I think the DAW takes the measured round trip latency and approximates the input and output latency from that. I can't remember for sure. In this case, I believe the variable in the latency is not over USB, but rather in the Axe FX itself. Some blocks on the grid add their own latency and depending on what you have in your preset, the Axe's own internal processing latency can vary a little bit. You can see this in action if you use two amps in parallel and put a drive block in front of only one of them. The tiny bit of extra latency from the drive block will push that amp's signal back a tiny bit and can cause phasing in the sound if the two amps are panned together due to the slight time offset between them.

Back
Top Bottom