Superema222

Hi to all, i deeply try to find any similar thread about this issues, but nothing so i try here.
I'm an owner of an FX III from one and a half year and i always used my Axe through the power section of my amp, plugging the mono output of the Axe through the return of the amp, switching often between the tube preamp of my amp and the emulation ones of the Axe with a MIDI programmed pedalboard. Recently for a music contest i use this machine for recording, plugging the guitar straight to the Axe and reaching my DAW (Logic Pro X) through the integrated USB output, and here's the problem, obviously i have enabled the power amp simulation and the cab simulation, i set all the input in the right way, i control into Logic that all EQs, Compressors and everything similar were switched off, but the sound that i recorder a solo, mostly hi-gain ones, have some problems with legato parts, in fact in the section where i use it, legato is not well defined, is like a disordered chaos of undefined notes, about that you could say that i'm probably a legato's noob, that my problem is probably a lack of practice, so i record the same guitar part, plugging the guitar through my tube amp, connecting the ''Send'' of the FX loop with the input of the axe (obviously using also the cab of the amp for let the power amp release the electric charge), and after with USB from the Axe to the DAW, and everything is well defined, the solo that came up was great, near to my expectations, also if there was a high sibling noise for the high gain preamp section of my tube amp, so i really don't know, if it's my problem, an Axe problem or a DAW settings problem, i try to use also the Tom Quayle's presets (the legato king) for a better focus on this particular technique but nothing, about the clean tone or nearly to breakup crunch tones, the machine generally sound very well, defined and precise, but about hi gain ones is like i'm missing something. I'm considering to buy a dedicated preamp to connect in front of the Axe, for example Victory ones, or some overdrive pedal for getting a more 'amped' signal, i really really don't know what to do, hope you could help me.

It's hard to say what the problem could be without hearing it. If you could link to an audio sample, that would help. But, it sounds like it might be a noise gate problem.

It's hard to say what the problem could be without hearing it. If you could link to an audio sample, that would help. But, it sounds like it might be a noise gate problem.
Ok, first of all thx for the answer, second here i share the link, about that, test is divided in two parts, the first one straight into the Axe and after to the DAW (no EQs or other similar stuff), the second one guitar is plugged into the amp, output the Send of the amp and going through the Axe, ending straight to the DAW, forgive me for the bad quality of the solos but for both you could clearly hear the difference.

I can relate to the problem you're having, and I'm pretty certain it's your technique. I have also noticed, when using certain presets (as opposed to your using the AF3 in your amp's loop, vs. straight thru the amp), some of my fast playing sounds clean, and when using others, it doesn't.

But I feel that's a big benefit of the AF3, in that some presets are more forgiving, like possibly your amp..., others, not so much. The less-forgiving ones, forces/gives me the ability, to look a bit closer at my technique (I strive to play accurately), to find out where I need improvement. Is a high-gain tone making that string transition, where I'm actually not getting my finger off the one string fast enough before I land it on the next string, causing me to hear dissonance, even if for only a brief moment, because I'm really playing 2 notes only 1 step apart, at the same time? Yep, it sure is. But I just never actually heard it, when playing through a different preset. Ok, I gotta practice those transitions a bit more. Thanks Axe Fx!

That's what I think is happening. Try playing it on clean, then high-gain, presets, at a slower speed, and see what happens.

I can relate to the problem you're having, and I'm pretty certain it's your technique. I have also noticed, when using certain presets (as opposed to your using the AF3 in your amp's loop, vs. straight thru the amp), some of my fast playing sounds clean, and when using others, it doesn't.

But I feel that's a big benefit of the AF3, in that some presets are more forgiving, like possibly your amp..., others, not so much. The less-forgiving ones, forces/gives me the ability, to look a bit closer at my technique (I strive to play accurately), to find out where I need improvement. Is a high-gain tone making that string transition, where I'm actually not getting my finger off the one string fast enough before I land it on the next string, causing me to hear dissonance, even if for only a brief moment, because I'm really playing 2 notes only 1 step apart, at the same time? Yep, it sure is. But I just never actually heard it, when playing through a different preset. Ok, I gotta practice those transitions a bit more. Thanks Axe Fx!

That's what I think is happening. Try playing it on clean, then high-gain, presets, at a slower speed, and see what happens.
It's really a great advise, i didn't expect that this machine was so analytics, but probably you're correct, i was reflecting on that, sure tubes blur those imperfection and you hear more cohesive and coherent sounds that Axe will not forgive. About playing slower i'll do it and the string have to be pulled with an extra strength for sound more clear and defined, about the clean ones it's practically perfect, both legato and tapping (which i always had problems on tube amp) sound just gorgeous and i reach to play fast licks way better then with hi-gain ones, for this i was a little bit upset, usually is inverted, easy legatos on hi-gain than the clean one. But anyway, i will practice more, we all need to practice more :laughing::laughing::laughing:

It's really a great advise,
Thanks!
about the clean ones it's practically perfect, both legato and tapping (which i always had problems on tube amp) sound just gorgeous and i reach to play fast licks way better then with hi-gain ones, for this i was a little bit upset, usually is inverted, easy legatos on hi-gain than the clean one. But anyway, i will practice more, we all need to practice more :laughing::laughing::laughing:
This is a point that can be overlooked. Legato runs, & tapping, seem easier on high-gain tones because the compression helps compensate for the "human factor" of not getting each pull-off/hammer-on at the same dynamic level. And the reverse, playing them on a clean preset makes them sound cleaner, because a clean preset doesn't amplify near as much any unwanted open-string noise like a high-gain preset does.

And when you're not using your pick, you may inadvertently forget to mute open strings with your picking hand, especially when tapping, simply due to the fact that that hand isn't where it's used to being, resting on the bridge for stability for example, but instead, out over the fretboard somewhere.

All it takes with a high-gain setting, is to slam your tapping finger onto the fretboard a little too hard, not muting open strings, and the vibration of that finger hitting the guitar will make open strings ring out. It's probably part of the reason EVH didn't actually use a shit-ton of gain. It does take practice, especially with a high-gain tone, but I was taught that you need to practice with both distortion as well as clean tones. Each shows you different aspects of your technique that may need improving.

Back
Top Bottom