Recording into Reaper Latency

I searched in the forums but only got more confused. I am running Reaper on my Mac. My FM3 is being used as the recording audio interface. There is noticeable latency when I record. Is there a simple way to sync my Reaper and FM3 up?

Thanks, I will check that out. No it is when listening to the recording back afterwards. I play perfectly in sync with backing tracks and I am way late on the recording.......

Is this mac only issue? I don't seem to have this problem, or perhaps misunderstanding it (yes I read the big thread).

Last edited:
It's a problem whenever recording an Axe-FX or FM3 (and presumably FM9) via USB both with Windows and Mac. There are reports of this issue on the forum going back years, so you almost certainly have it. For a succinct description of this problem see the "Latency Compensation" topic in the recording guide.

Click on the speaker button for monitoring ( in the track your using) ,I use a Mac and reaper sometimes have to double click it.

@GlennO is this only with USB? In other words, if I route outputs from the FM3 into a different recording interface (my UAD Apollo) is there still an issue with latency? I assume not, but I am just about to record using my new FM3 and reading of this bug is NOT ideal.

@GlennO is this only with USB? In other words, if I route outputs from the FM3 into a different recording interface (my UAD Apollo) is there still an issue with latency? I assume not, but I am just about to record using my new FM3 and reading of this bug is NOT ideal.
Only with the FM3 as a USB device. There's a bug where the reported latency from the FM3 isn't correct and the recorded audio ends up shifted from where you played it at. Any USB interface you plug into does this sort of reported to keep things lined up, so as long as whatever interface you're using doesn't have this problem (most don't) then you'll be fine if you're using it as the interface. That said, when I use my FM3 as an interface and record over USB, I don't always have this problem. I usually test it first to see if it's acting up, and if it is, I do a ping test (see the linked thread) and manually enter the latency ms value in Reaper's audio settings.

It is generally preferable to use the FM3 as your interface and employ the workaround above instead of resorting to using an interface. However, if, for whatever reason, you are recording through an Apollo, you will not experience the playback lag problem the OP observed.

Back
Top Bottom