Recording in PT vs Logic

gdgross

Experienced
I've been a long time Logic user, recording often with the axe-II over usb without many issues.

Recently installed Pro Tools 11 on my machine and, while I was able to record the AXE-II over USB without too much hassle, the audio sounds pretty lousy - lots of noise and pops and clicks when I play.

I've always just recorded at 44.1 in logic and let logic resample the axe. In PT my session was also 44.1k (seems like its a major pain in the butt to change the session sample rate in pt when external hardware is connected...) I did have at PT aggregate device set up with my apogee ensemble as well as the axe fx II.

Does anyone have experience with this? Sound like a sample rate issue or something else?

Thanks!

In Logic I always record in 48K sample rate with the Axe as per the manual otherwise I get clicks, pops and static. I've no experience with Protools.

Not sure if using USB makes a difference vs. AES/SPIDF, but in PT I've had to ensure the "Clock Source" is set to Axe in the hardware setup. If I don't, I will get regular pops/clicks. With the clock source from the Axe, I get no issues. The Axe is fixed to 48kHz as well, thus forcing that sample rate for recording (so ensure your PT session is setup at the same rate.)

does USB or AES/SPDIF make any difference in sound? Does tracking use more CPU than just using Axe Edit? If so, how much CPU?

Not sure if using USB makes a difference vs. AES/SPIDF, but in PT I've had to ensure the "Clock Source" is set to Axe in the hardware setup. If I don't, I will get regular pops/clicks. With the clock source from the Axe, I get no issues. The Axe is fixed to 48kHz as well, thus forcing that sample rate for recording (so ensure your PT session is setup at the same rate.)

Yeah I'm meaning recording a usb axe-I track in a 44.1 session. Works fine in logic, as logic takes care of the resampling on the fly. Seems like the doesn't work too well in pro tools though. Unless I'm doing something else wrong :)

I've no issues recording in 48k, seems to work fine

Thanks!

The 44.1k session is your problem... the clicks are a result of clocking issues, as Pro Tools does not "resample on the fly". Set it at 48k and you will be fine.

If you need to do it at 44.1, you will need to go analog in, or create a new session at 48k and convert on import...

The 44.1k session is your problem... the clicks are a result of clocking issues, as Pro Tools does not "resample on the fly". Set it at 48k and you will be fine.

If you need to do it at 44.1, you will need to go analog in, or create a new session at 48k and convert on import...

Got it, thanks mark.

I was hoping there was a way around it but, I suppose theres no harm in makin my sessions all 48k and then down sampling when I need to make a master anyway. Just used to always working in 44.1 I suppose, I don't do much TV/film stuff :)

i just always use an interface. i don't like tying up my Axe as an interface or the usb....sometimes i like to play with settings while i have a recording session open. using usb audio and edit at the same time can get janky. (for me, anyway)

i just always use an interface. i don't like tying up my Axe as an interface or the usb....sometimes i like to play with settings while i have a recording session open. using usb audio and edit at the same time can get janky. (for me, anyway)

Same here.

I record analog into an interface.

Pro Tools is happier for me that way.

On my system analog out of the Fractal is as good as S/PDIF out in regards to audio quality.

Well, for the first time, ran the spdif out of the axe into my apogee ensemble, and had no PT issues clocking in any arrangement, 48 or 44.1, with either ensemble or axe2 as the clock source. Seems like my ensemble does what PT doesn't: live src without hiccups :)

So I guess it's a non issue now. Only downside is that I can't record a di unless I set up a patch specifically that has everything panned l or r, and the di on the opposite side. I most often record dry anyway (just amp, cab and maybe a pedal or two in front), so I'll probably just set up some patches specially for recording out of spdif.

Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom