Recording help...

stephenclark1

Experienced
I'll make this as concise as possible. The wife, says "why don't record some of these things you come up with?" I have a Presonus AudioBox USB96 and Studio One 4 BUT I have never used it and the "how to" videos assume you've been doing this forever and it's definitely not Cooper Carter explaining it. I could dig out the old Fostex or Tascam cassette recorders...
Anyway, I trust the advice and such on this Forum; helps an old guy that doesn't have days to spend on this. SO, does anyone know of a very simple, push a button and keep some stuff software? I am not trying to record my "White Album" and need 1000's of options. Should I give the PreSonus another try?
Thanks for the patience!

What would you like to record?
You can use your FM3 as an interface where you can record guitars and bass.

If you don't mind sharing what you'd like to the end product to be, we may be able to help more :)

If I had the ability for two, maybe three guitar tracks and a bass track I’d be happy. Ability to mix it down. I’m sure I could learn “simple” with the presonus, but most of these instructional videos assume you’ve done it before. I feel I’m not the only one that needs “step one, plug in...”

Ok perfect, well let's start with gear.

1. Assuming you have a computer, find a DAW that you like. DAW is a digital working station (software to record your music).

There's many options out there. I personally use Reaper. They have a non expiring trial version but it's very affordable and a tank of a daw.

2. Once it's installed, let's decide what you want to use, your Presonus or your FM3. They both have their pros and cons :)

Let me know once you make it to this point :)

Easiest would probably be a portable recorder: https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/handheld-recorders/handheld-recorders/h1n-handy-recorder/
You wouldn't need a DAW, just put it in front of one of your speakers and record away.

If you decide you want higher quality recordings, you can plug the FM3 into the recorder using the mic port (1/8" - 3.5mm port). This would be very simple if you have the headphone version of the FM3, just get a 1/4" to 3.5mm or 3.5mm to 3.5mm (with 1/4" adapter) stereo cable to connect the two devices.

Back
Top Bottom