Recording guitars with Apollo

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I've had my new Apollo X6 for just about 2 weeks now. Over the weekend got my feet wet doing some recording on a project I'm working on. I'm running from Output 1 of the Axe FX using female XLR > TRS into the line input of the Apollo. On Apollo Console i have that input(s) set for -10dbv which i believe is the correct way to run it.

The biggest thing I've noticed getting back into recording is how much gain/overdrive I'm cutting from my presets. I'm talking like half the amount I would just from normal practice/playing. Is this normal? When i cut that much gain I can just see Mark Day shaking his head in shame.

If the X6 has SPDIF in you might want try that as your recorded signal and see if that gets closer to what you are used to.

Why though? Why not just record it direct using USB? What's Apollo improving here?

I know about spdif and usb being good options for recording but i dont like doin aggregative device as i also connect my bass direct along with my keyboard. Also USB locks me in at 48khz when I'm using 44.1. having the rackmount just works for me. I'm not saying the sound is bad at all but overall that I'm dialing down the gain a fair bit. what sounds good playing by yourself not necessarily sounds that good recorded in a mix.

Back
Top Bottom