Recording from the Axe Fx to computer advice

Jim Dimenno

Now that I have the Axe Fx I would like to start recording into my computer. I find the unit very inspiring for playing and would like to start capturing the sounds. I would like to get setup and not spend a fortune initially. I know I need DAW and an interface to my PC. I really would like to take advantage of the Axe fx's stereo effects capabilities.

I'm sure there are resources for recording newbs like me. Just wondering if anyone could point me to a couple?

Thank you

Start with reading the Axe FX manual. Its described in detail there how to connect your axe to a PC.

As for a DAW, most use one called Reaper. I think its s free trial then $60 after a month or something.

A lesser completely free one is Audacity.

There is a free (limited features?) version of Prosonus 'Studio One' that still has enough for basic use.

As for the interface, if you only need to record the Axe-Fx II and listen to audio, then the Axe-Fx II will act as your interface.

If you wish to record vocals, or anything that needs a microphone then you will need an interface with microphone inputs. Most come with a basic version of one of the popular DAWs?

Not sure how many tracks you need, but there are several free options. Only need mono/stereo, no overdubbing? Try Oceanaudio. I think it's Windows and Mac. ProTools used to offer a fully functional 8 track version. See what they offer currently. Most of the popular DAWs offer a free version.

If you have a budget, I think Logic is down to (I believe) 200 bucks if you're on mac. I've got Ableton Live Intro on a Windows 10 laptop, works great. On the desktop Mac I have Logic. The latest version is great. Great compressors and EQs. Lots of virtual instruments included. I recently got the Focusrite 2i4 interface and it's the best bang for the buck and comes with lots of great 3rd party software (including Ableton Live Lite).

Not sure why, in the same boat, want to enter the world of DAW... which seems to have its secrets, and it's a costly trial and error learning curve with a new definition of GAS and realizing that you should have used that one and on and on. Never heard of Reaper, will look at that. I want to buy the right one, one time. Thinking it's best to hook up with the imac 27" desk top and learn Logic. Unnecessary at the intro level, expensive to buy the Apple but something to grow into that will stay reasonably competitive for 10yr.

Reaper is great. Free to try (nag screen on launch after 60 days but it stays fully functional) and only $60 for a non-commercial license. Available for both Windows or Mac OSX and is very fast and stable.
http://www.reaper.fm

Check out YouTube as well. There's hours of great videos out there that cover the basics on recording, mixing, etc. and just about any DAW software and can save you a lot of time when getting started. I wish YouTube existed when I got started.

Thanks for the replies all! I checked out Reaper and it seems like a good, affordable choice! I will also continue RTM!

Reaper is great. Full-featured and you can't beat the price. The Harrison DAWs (Mixbus, Mixbus 32C) are good as well. I think they're selling Mixbus for $79 right now, so it's in the same ball park price as Reaper. Between the two, Reaper is definitely more compatible with 3rd party plugs, more refined, and has more features (the Harrison stuff is still somewhat in it's infancy....). The Reaper crew stays on top of updates frequently and regularly as well. The Harrison DAWs have a sound and workflow all their own. If you're an older analog guy, you'll really appreciate the Harrison stuff. The Harrison stuff is probably a little more straight forward as well...If you're new to DAWs, it's quick and easy to get going.

One other thing...Depending on the horsepower of your computer, Reaper is a very small program and uses very little resources. The Harrison stuff can be a bit of a resource hog if you're not careful. For under $100, you can't go wrong with either.

Reaper is great. Full-featured and you can't beat the price. The Harrison DAWs (Mixbus, Mixbus 32C) are good as well. I think they're selling Mixbus for $79 right now, so it's in the same ball park price as Reaper. Between the two, Reaper is definitely more compatible with 3rd party plugs, more refined, and has more features (the Harrison stuff is still somewhat in it's infancy....). The Reaper crew stays on top of updates frequently and regularly as well. The Harrison DAWs have a sound and workflow all their own. If you're an older analog guy, you'll really appreciate the Harrison stuff. The Harrison stuff is probably a little more straight forward as well...If you're new to DAWs, it's quick and easy to get going.

One other thing...Depending on the horsepower of your computer, Reaper is a very small program and uses very little resources. The Harrison stuff can be a bit of a resource hog if you're not careful. For under $100, you can't go wrong with either.

I went to the Reaper DAW site and it looks like it will suit my needs fine. Not to mention the price is quite reasonable. Lots 'o instructional videos also. Thanks to the tips I have a starting point. Much obliged!

The most commonly used DAW are Protools, Cubase, Logic, Studio One, and Reaper. I have experience in all except Reaper, it just didn't appeal to me when I messed around with it, but everyone has their preferences and a lot of people really like it. Protools is the big name, but all of them work very similar and do the same things. I used Cubase mostly for a while, and am now using Studio One, which I really like; its layout and ease-of-use is great, but I believe you really can't go wrong with any of them, and there are so many Youtube video tutorials of each system to help you learn how to do specific operations in each, so lots of help available to get you started.

Back
Top Bottom