Recording Dry DI Axe-Fx 2

Kaihoro1388

Hey guys I'm using cubase 8.5 artist and i want to be able to record my di track from axe fx while still hearing the signal with the preset on. So basically when i record ill hear the preset I'm using but it will only record the dry track. I'm doing this so i can re amp the dry signal later. i just want to hear the ambience when i record but only have my daw record the dry signal from my guitar. Id appreciate any and all tips. thanks

record Channel 3 and 4 of the USB.

or on the Axe I/O Audio menu on the front panel, set Output 2 Echo to INPUT 1. Now Out 2 is the dry output - send that to your audio interface.

record Channel 3 and 4 of the USB.

or on the Axe I/O Audio menu on the front panel, set Output 2 Echo to INPUT 1. Now Out 2 is the dry output - send that to your audio interface.
Ok thanks I will try after work! When recording USB to computer do I use the interface as the driver or axe fx? And I notice the channels from the USB when I look in cubase say 1-front left 2-front right 3-center and 4-low frequency noises. So 3 and 4 are exactly the same dry signal as eachother?

The easiest way to explain is probably just using the Axe Fx straight to the computer via USB. Here's what I do (Cubase 7.5 btw):

1. Create an input bus and assign "Front Center" to it, after that...
upload_2016-8-29_20-33-19.png

2. Assign that input busto the desired track, arm and record
upload_2016-8-29_20-35-17.png

FWIW, you may want to also record a full track simultaneously to make sure everything went as expected (clean, accurate, right dynamics, etc.)

Let us know if you encounter other problems. Good luck

And I notice the channels from the USB when I look in cubase say 1-front left 2-front right 3-center and 4-low frequency noises. So 3 and 4 are exactly the same dry signal as eachother?
not sure why Cubase has those descriptions (same for everyone), but 3 is Left Dry and 4 is Right Dry.

details in the Axe manual:

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 5.48.08 PM.png

Looks like it's defaulting to surround sound inputs names. You should be able to rename the inputs and outputs in the device setup menu.. Double click the Axe II ASIO device and then change the displayed name for each input or output in the "Show As" column.

You can do the same in Reaper too in the preferences menu audio options for Input Aliasing and Output Aliasing.

I hate to bump an old thread but I am very new to the DI & reamp strategy. I am using Pro-Tools 12.5 but I want to make sure I understand this right.

So if I am recording using my Axe-Fx II as a usb interface I can just arm 2 tracks? Track 1 (I/O 1 & 2) will be the processed signal & track 2 (I/O 3 & 4) would be a dry signal? As if recording through a DI box? Then later I would change the input on the Axe Fx unit to USB so the dry signal would then loop through the Axe Fx? (Which of course I would then need to arm another track to record the re amped signal).

I risk sounding like a noob but oh well lol. I’d love the thought of recording a really good DI track I can record piece by piece instead of trying to do one solid playthrough with reverbs and delays on.

Edit: btw I guess I don’t have to arm 2 tracks initially, just have 1 track armed to record I/O 3 & 4 but I could still hear the effects from the processed signal.

I hate to bump an old thread but I am very new to the DI & reamp strategy. I am using Pro-Tools 12.5 but I want to make sure I understand this right.

So if I am recording using my Axe-Fx II as a usb interface I can just arm 2 tracks? Track 1 (I/O 1 & 2) will be the processed signal & track 2 (I/O 3 & 4) would be a dry signal? As if recording through a DI box? Then later I would change the input on the Axe Fx unit to USB so the dry signal would then loop through the Axe Fx? (Which of course I would then need to arm another track to record the re amped signal).

I risk sounding like a noob but oh well lol. I’d love the thought of recording a really good DI track I can record piece by piece instead of trying to do one solid playthrough with reverbs and delays on.

Edit: btw I guess I don’t have to arm 2 tracks initially, just have 1 track armed to record I/O 3 & 4 but I could still hear the effects from the processed signal.
Yup. The DI track will look quiet. It IS. Don’t boost it later.

Back
Top Bottom