1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Recording Dry DI axe fx 2

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Recordings' started by Kaihoro1388, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Kaihoro1388

Kaihoro1388
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Hey guys I'm using cubase 8.5 artist and i want to be able to record my di track from axe fx while still hearing the signal with the preset on. So basically when i record ill hear the preset I'm using but it will only record the dry track. I'm doing this so i can re amp the dry signal later. i just want to hear the ambience when i record but only have my daw record the dry signal from my guitar. Id appreciate any and all tips. thanks

2. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse

record Channel 3 and 4 of the USB.

or on the Axe I/O Audio menu on the front panel, set Output 2 Echo to INPUT 1. Now Out 2 is the dry output - send that to your audio interface.

3. Kaihoro1388

Kaihoro1388
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Ok thanks I will try after work! When recording USB to computer do I use the interface as the driver or axe fx? And I notice the channels from the USB when I look in cubase say 1-front left 2-front right 3-center and 4-low frequency noises. So 3 and 4 are exactly the same dry signal as eachother?

4. actionjackson12

actionjackson12
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

You could also use S/PDIF

5. kengtin

kengtin
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

The easiest way to explain is probably just using the Axe Fx straight to the computer via USB. Here's what I do (Cubase 7.5 btw):

1. Create an input bus and assign "Front Center" to it, after that...
    upload_2016-8-29_20-33-19.png

2. Assign that input busto the desired track, arm and record
    upload_2016-8-29_20-35-17.png

FWIW, you may want to also record a full track simultaneously to make sure everything went as expected (clean, accurate, right dynamics, etc.)

Let us know if you encounter other problems. Good luck

6. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse

not sure why Cubase has those descriptions (same for everyone), but 3 is Left Dry and 4 is Right Dry.

details in the Axe manual:

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 5.48.08 PM.png

7. mr_fender

mr_fender
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Looks like it's defaulting to surround sound inputs names. You should be able to rename the inputs and outputs in the device setup menu.. Double click the Axe II ASIO device and then change the displayed name for each input or output in the "Show As" column.

You can do the same in Reaper too in the preferences menu audio options for Input Aliasing and Output Aliasing.