Recording DI track - Axe-Fx 3 is NOT the main interface!

unFILTERed

Power User
Is this is a proper way of recording a DI track?

Input one, 1 raw goes into Amp-Cab and goes Spdif Out Left (hard panned), than another raw goes only with shunts-empty blocks to Spdif Out Right (hard panned). In this case if i record the Right output which is Dry (no amp, no cab, no fx etc) is a proper DI track. Somehow its clipping with my Les Paul, thought DI tracks would be super low level.

Note: I can NOT use Axe as main Interface in my studio, so i cant use the USB input of Axe Fx.

I think you'll need to reduce the DI signal by 20 dB. Also realize any input gating would be applied to the DI with that routing.

You could keep the In 1 gate usable by routing the DI from a multiplexer block instead. Set source to In 1 and block level to -20 dB, balance processed/DI rows L/R in Out 1 block.

Input one, 1 raw goes into Amp-Cab and goes Spdif Out Left (hard panned), than another raw goes only with shunts-empty blocks to Spdif Out Right (hard panned). In this case if i record the Right output which is Dry (no amp, no cab, no fx etc) is a proper DI track. Somehow its clipping with my Les Paul, thought DI tracks would be super low level.

Note: I can NOT use Axe as main Interface in my studio, so i cant use the USB input of Axe Fx.
You can use more than one interface but not at the same time. I have a Focusrite audio interface and my DAW will only let you select one at a time. I always use my Focusrite until I am recording guitar. Change to the Axe interface in preferences in your DAW and let your Axe 3 be the audio interface. Once I get finished with my recordings and have reamped and laid that down, I change back my preferences to my Focusrite. Make sure you have the Axe USB driver installed first. USB is the best way to record. I never record without reamping. How many times have you laid a track down and wished you had used less or more gain, different effects, and etc. It is a little pain to have to switch back and forth.

In preferences, you have to unselect everything of your now interface before it will let you select the Axe interface. No instance of either can exist at the same time selected.

You can use more than one interface but not at the same time. I have a Focusrite audio interface and my DAW will only let you select one at a time. I always use my Focusrite until I am recording guitar. Change to the Axe interface in preferences in your DAW and let your Axe 3 be the audio interface. Once I get finished with my recordings and have reamped and laid that down, I change back my preferences to my Focusrite. Make sure you have the Axe USB driver installed first. USB is the best way to record. I never record without reamping. How many times have you laid a track down and wished you had used less or more gain, different effects, and etc. It is a little pain to have to switch back and forth.

In preferences, you have to unselect everything of your now interface before it will let you select the Axe interface. No instance of either can exist at the same time selected.

thx for the response even though i clearly stated in my post that i can NOT (in a way also don’t want) use axe as an interface.

I know i can switch back and fort interfaces or i could use 3xApollo 8 plus the axe fx as an aggregate device but unfortunately it didnt work out and had some glitches. Though gave up quick on that maybe there was a solution.

And i have been using axe fx 2-3 or ax8 since 6-7 years for recording. Since i dont use anyways too much gain most of the time and as most do i record dry guitar tracks (no delay, reverb etc, add them later at mixing stage) i never needed to reamp. One client wanted also DI track but we ended up not using those...

thx for the response even though i clearly stated in my post that i can NOT (in a way also don’t want) use axe as an interface.

I know i can switch back and fort interfaces or i could use 3xApollo 8 plus the axe fx as an aggregate device but unfortunately it didnt work out and had some glitches. Though gave up quick on that maybe there was a solution.

And i have been using axe fx 2-3 or ax8 since 6-7 years for recording. Since i dont use anyways too much gain most of the time and as most do i record dry guitar tracks (no delay, reverb etc, add them later at mixing stage) i never needed to reamp. One client wanted also DI track but we ended up not using those...

Exactly. I don't want to use the AXE 3 as my interface just to get a DI track. There has to be a better way to do this.

I use a saffire pro 24 interface receiving two outputs from the axe fx. See the attached picture.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190313_115401.jpg
    MVIMG_20190313_115401.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 72
Here's what I do: I switch between interfaces in my DAW (it's just one dropdown in the preferences pane) when tracking guitars. I also have OUT1 of the Axe-FX routed to my audio interface (RME UFX+) and have the internal mixer set to pass that straight to the output. This way I keep monitoring through my audio interface as normal, but I can track both the direct and wet tracks from the Axe-FX. The DAW playback goes to the Axe-FX USB which gets mirrored to the outputs, I believe it's 7&8 but can't recall at the moment.

Here's what I do: I switch between interfaces in my DAW (it's just one dropdown in the preferences pane) when tracking guitars. I also have OUT1 of the Axe-FX routed to my audio interface (RME UFX+) and have the internal mixer set to pass that straight to the output. This way I keep monitoring through my audio interface as normal, but I can track both the direct and wet tracks from the Axe-FX. The DAW playback goes to the Axe-FX USB which gets mirrored to the outputs, I believe it's 7&8 but can't recall at the moment.

Was thinking of doing smth similar also, will give it a shot. With huge templates, changing interfaces (with the 3xApollos i am using around 24 in&output channels all routed to tracks and seperate outs) Sometimes the DAW, project or the computer freaks out when there is a huge change with routing etc.

Somehow its clipping with my Les Paul, thought DI tracks would be super low level.

Guitar pickups AREN’T super low level, I’m not sure why this urban myth persists. Passive humbuckers push out a lot of voltage, albeit for short peaks.

What I don’t understand from your description is what exactly is clipping in your setup? Is it Axe input? The other interface’s SPDIF input? Or what?

thx but it’s not any different than what i am already doing.

It's different in that you're recording the wet and dry tracks by panning OUT1 rather than sending the dry track to a completely different output(eg. OUT2). As someone who sends the stereo image to OUT1 and the dry track to a different output, I've never had an issue with the latter clipping, thus I'd recommend at least trying this alternate method before dismissing it out of hand. It's simple and just works.

Back
Top Bottom