FM3 recording computer audio into Logic Pro X with FM3 as audio interface (SOLVED)

Jelico

Hello,

I am trying to record Apple Music tracks (or any other audio playing on my Mac studio such as from You Tube) into Logic Pro X using FM3 as audio interface. I have no issues with getting my guitar signal into Logic using the FM3. At first I was trying to see if there was a way to get the computer audio signal in to Logic Pro by just using the USB connection, but I tried every setting in the FM3 I/O menu & couldn't get it to work. So I took an output from my Mac studio's headphone jack and ran it into Input 2 on the FM3. If I set the output on the Mac to external headphones instead of FM3 and arm a track in Logic using Input 3 & 4 from the FM3, I am able to get a signal into Logic by just turning up the volume on the Mac and setting the USB 3,4 Record Source to Input 2 in the I/O setup in the FM3. This would be a fine way of doing it except I have no way of monitoring the sound. I have the main outs from the FM3 going directly into my studio monitors, but I can't hear what is playing from the Mac. So the questions are:

1) Can I get a signal into Logic with just using the USB audio which plays back from Output 1 of the FM3?
2) If not, what do I need to do to hear the audio if I do it the way I described above using the headphone output of the Mac studio?

Thank you

In the FM3, set the usb 3/4 destination to input 1 block. Then set the speaker configuration channels in the audio midi setup app to channels 3/4. Record the FM3 as you normally would while playing the audio.

I use blackhole to route audio from YouTube to logic. Pretty straightforward, the blackhole software just shows up as a device in logic.

Thank you, GlennO - what you suggested pretty much worked. The only extra step is that since the playback is running through the FM3 you have to call up a blank patch, otherwise the audio is colored by whatever patch you have on at the time. Just to recap what I had to do for anyone that needs to do this:

FM3 I/O menu - USB 3/4 record source - Input 1 (doesn't seem to matter how I have the USB playback set)
- Input 1 configuration - Input 1 source - USB channels 3/4
Audio Midi setup on Mac - configure speakers for output 3 & 4 on FM3
Logic Pro X armed track - input 1 and 2 is what I selected & that got the signal into Logic

Thanks again - let me know if anyone has any further comments on it.

I use Soundflower for this, it’s 2 simple steps and you’re done-

Once you have it downloaded you can open up the Settings on your Mac and choose Soundflower as your Output device, then open Logic and set Soundflower as your Input device. Start recording and press play on Youtube or iTunes or whatever you’re playing music on and just let it record. Done!

No need for a blank preset or anything. If you activate the Input Monitoring on the track you’ll hear everything through your speakers as normal, since Logic still has your FM3 as the output device.

Thank you, GlennO - what you suggested pretty much worked. The only extra step is that since the playback is running through the FM3 you have to call up a blank patch, otherwise the audio is colored by whatever patch you have on at the time.

Good point! I have a blank preset just for this purpose. Glad it worked.

Back
Top Bottom