Recording Axe FX III to Logic Pro X

What does the UAD Console offer that you weren't getting otherwise?
Advanced monitoring. Logic coming in on a virtual channel, my computer sound coming in on a virtual channel. Axe coming in on S/PDIF. I am able to blend my volume levels to exactly what I want to hear without impacting the record level and with zero latency.

Update: After reading my post I should make clear to those not familiar with UA products, 'Console' is the name of the monitoring software included in the interfaces. It is not a hardware console.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the replies.

Related question:

I have a $6.99 "printer cable" USB that received good reviews on Amazon by people using it for music. However, I am now wondering if I should spend the $65 on an "audiophile" AudioQuest Forest USB cable. Does anyone have any experience with various quality USB cables and have a recommendation? I'm guessing this question is a classic for endless debate.

I am looking to get an exact sound match when I go from

1) Guitar > Axe FX 3 > Headphones

to

2) Guitar > Axe FX 3 > MacBook Pro > (Axe FX 3) > Headphones

Thanks 😁

Thanks again for the replies.

Related question:

I have a $6.99 "printer cable" USB that received good reviews on Amazon by people using it for music. However, I am now wondering if I should spend the $65 on an "audiophile" AudioQuest Forest USB cable. Does anyone have any experience with various quality USB cables and have a recommendation? I'm guessing this question is a classic for endless debate.

I am looking to get an exact sound match when I go from

1) Guitar > Axe FX 3 > Headphones

to

2) Guitar > Axe FX 3 > MacBook Pro > (Axe FX 3) > Headphones

Thanks 😁
If you hear a difference between these two something is wrong in your signal chain. A USB cable should not have an effect like this, neither should having the Axe Fx connected to the computer via USB while still using the Afx to monitor via the same headphones.

The only possibility is some A/D converters introduce artifacts like aliasing which can cause high end signal distortion.
I would think the converter in the AFX3 handles anti aliasing so this should not happen.
The next thing to check is that your audio software and the Afx are both set to the same bit rate (44.1/48k), otherwise this could cause some strange things in the sound.

James

I have a UA x4 and a Fractal Axe III. Can I hook up both simultaneously? It wants me to choose one versus the other. I can switch between them, but can’t for instance record w UA x4, but sound output to monitors via the Axe III. I like to keep my studio monitors hooked up to the Axe as permanent go to…

Or is my only option to spdif the Fractal to the UAx4?

Want to use together in Logic Pro: UAx4 for mics, 2 synths, Fractal Axe III…and use the Axe III as the main out to my monitors.

I have a UA x4 and a Fractal Axe III. Can I hook up both simultaneously? It wants me to choose one versus the other. I can switch between them, but can’t for instance record w UA x4, but sound output to monitors via the Axe III. I like to keep my studio monitors hooked up to the Axe as permanent go to…

Want to use together in Logic Pro: UAx4 for mics, 2 synths, Fractal Axe III…and use the Axe III as the main out to my monitors.
That's no problem. There are a couple of options on how exactly to do it. You'll find full instructions, including commentary on the pros and cons, on how to do that here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Yes, you can have both simultaneously when on a Mac. You’ll have to create an aggregate audio device.

I know this is an old thread, but I have always done what the others have suggested, and used the Axe as the audio interface for recording into Logic X via usb. I made sure I had a good cable. At first I only had a FM3 and I was using Reaper on a macbook pro... it gets the job done but it is very difficult to do certain things that Logic makes easy, like just recording beats and bass lines to practice along to.

I found this early on ... https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tutorial-how-to-setup-reamping-with-reaper-on-a-mac.39503/
and really just this part showed me the concept of reamping with the outputs and usb setting:

WET track - Output - Should be going to your main speaker output - Output 1/2 for me. Input - the main inputs from the Axe - 1/2 for me.
DI Track - Output - Should be going back to the AxeII; Output 3/4 for me. Input - The alternative outputs from the Axe - 3/4 for me.
REAMP Track - Output - Should be going to your main speaker output - Output 1/2 for me. Input - the main inputs from the Axe - 1/2 for me.

Then this for reamping once you have a track recorded:
On the AxeII, go the I/O menu, and change the input 1 source from analog to USB. Now mute the WET track, and arm and input monitor the REAMP track. Hit play, and you should hear your riff being played back; but now if you make changes with the AxeII knobs, your recorded sound is altered... tweak it until it sounds good, then hit record to save your riff played with your new sweet tone! SUCCESS!

I have the Scheps Parallel particles plugin (great EQ for individual instruments and overall track) and Aphex Vintage Exciter which is fun to play with. It makes the track just jump out more on multitracked songs with vocals, bass, drums, maybe keys. I got it because I read it is a plugin for what the Beatles used. I also recently got the FAS reverb, hell it is hard to make a bad sounding recording. I don't know what I'm doing so sometimes I research mixing techniques, but usually it's just levels and eq and it sounds freaking awesome. I love Fractal! I should have kept my FM3 but I sold it to help finance an Axe-FX III.

I always got awesome results and I just mostly record guitar covers with the tracks separated using demucs, so I can take out the guitar and record myself playing the guitar part(s).

I am thinking about checking out these amp plugins: https://www.stltones.com/products/stl-ignite-emissary-plug-in-bundle but I am not expecting it to be like the Fractal. It's like a better Amplitube for $10/month you use any amp, effect, pedal you want. There are some interesting cabinet plugins that Dave Friedman is involved with. DynIR Virtual Cabinets/Torpedo Hardware Setup

But honestly I was using the same pedalboard and 2 Mesa amps for 15 years. I am totally behind and have read up on this stuff and learn how to use it. I think just doing some tweaking with Fractal Axe-FX III is what I will end up doing, but mostly first and foremost play! Play the guitar and tweak as necessary! Working full-time salaried position with 60-70 hours/week makes it hard sometimes to play, but I keep at it whenever I have some time. It's a great time for guitar as technology has really provided killer tone to everyone. Thanks FAS!

I run XLR to my monitors from Output 1 and XLR to my UAD Duo via Output 2. I monitor my Axe III through my monitors and record via Output 2 through the Duo. Zero latency monitoring, and the best recording signal.

I run XLR to my monitors from Output 1 and XLR to my UAD Duo via Output 2. I monitor my Axe III through my monitors and record via Output 2 through the Duo. Zero latency monitoring, and the best recording signal.
That will work and many people are happy with a setup like that, but you'll get a better recording signal if you record digitally. See configuration #1 for a setup that gives you zero latency monitoring, a better recording signal, and a rig suitable for re-amping. Or use #4 or #5 if you need to use the Duo to record a mic or other inputs while recording guitar from the Axe-FX.

That will work and many people are happy with a setup like that, but you'll get a better recording signal if you record digitally. See configuration #1 for a setup that gives you zero latency monitoring, a better recording signal, and a rig suitable for re-amping. Or use #4 or #5 if you need to use the Duo to record a mic or other inputs while recording guitar from the Axe-FX.
Maybe via SPDIF, which I've not done, but my analog recordings sound better than when I record via USB. I'll use USB when it doesn't matter much, but when I'm tracking something important, I'll use the analog outputs every time.

SPDIF and USB channel signals are identical. The exact same sample data is being transmitted through both. You might prefer the sound your analog inputs impart and that's totally fine, but you'll also get a tiny bit more noise as well since there's additional analog circuitry, cables, and interconnects in the path. It's always a trade off.

Maybe via SPDIF, which I've not done, but my analog recordings sound better than when I record via USB. I'll use USB when it doesn't matter much, but when I'm tracking something important, I'll use the analog outputs every time.
Whatever works for you, but you're not doing analog recording. You're doing digital recording with unnecessary D/A/D conversions. That never helped anybody's audio :).

SPDIF and USB channel signals are identical. The exact same sample data is being transmitted through both. You might prefer the sound your analog inputs impart and that's totally fine, but you'll also get a tiny bit more noise as well since there's additional analog circuitry, cables, and interconnects in the path. It's always a trade off.
In that case, I wouldn't like SPDIF either! Haha! IME, recording via USB sounds artificial - the high end isn't as natural to me. I'd much rather use the analog outs, and run through some amazing channel strip plugin from UAD. Sounds much, much better to me.

Whatever works for you, but you're not doing analog recording. You're doing digital recording with unnecessary D/A/D conversions. That never helped anybody's audio :).
Well, I meant analog in the sense that I'm using the analog outs on the Axe III. ;)

You could try running the SPIDF or USB signal through the same channel strip plugin too.
I'm not sure there is a way to do that without going through the UAD Apollo which doesn't have an SPDIF or USB input. I can add the channel strip after the fact, as an effect in Logic, but it's not the same as tracking through it.

Your Apollo has ADAT and you can get a spdif-to-ADAT adapter if you want to track through the channel strip instead of applying it after recording. But of course the latter has the advantage of being more flexible. I agree with Mr_Fender...it's probably the channel strip you're reacting to. I've never heard of anybody liking the sound of D/A/D conversion :).

Back
Top Bottom