Recording Axe FX III to Logic Pro X

Jayo

I looked around a bit and did not see a section dedicated to recording to a DAW. My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I'm curious what everyone is using to record with their Axe. I connect via USB to Logic Pro X on a MacBook Pro and I'm not sure if this is the best I can do. I tend to use headphones most often and I will plug those into the Axe directly or sometimes I'll use the headphone jack on the laptop. I also have Scarlett solo that I'll use if I want to listen through my studio monitors.

I want to capture the best quality sound that the Axe is capable of.

Thanks!
J

Last edited:
That's the best way to connect. USB is simple, provides a variety of input and output channels that you can use for purposes like reamping, offers the high quality advantages of a digital recording, and gives you some good options for monitoring during recording. You can still use your studio monitors when connecting with USB if you like.

I looked around a bit and did not see a section dedicated to recording to a DAW. My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I'm curious what everyone is using to record with their Axe. I connect via USB to Logic Pro X on a MacBook Pro and I'm not sure if this is the best I can do. I tend to use headphones most often and I will plug those into the Axe directly or sometimes I'll use the headphone jack one the laptop. I also have Scarlett solo that I'll use if I want to listen through my studio monitors.

Thanks!
J
That is the method I use when recording, USB to MBP or Mac Mini and Logic Pro as well.

I'm curious what everyone is using to record with their Axe. I connect via USB to Logic Pro X on a MacBook Pro and I'm not sure if this is the best I can do. I tend to use headphones most often and I will plug those into the Axe directly or sometimes I'll use the headphone jack one the laptop. I also have Scarlett solo that I'll use if I want to listen through my studio monitors.

Thanks!
J
I just finished recording my guitar!
Logic Pro X - USB - AX FX III.
1-2 direct recordings.
5 to the reamp!
It's wonderful to use reamp!
Easy! And very perfect.
It has been operating for about 2 years!

I just finished recording my guitar!
Logic Pro X - USB - AX FX III.
1-2 direct recordings.
5 to the reamp!
It's wonderful to use reamp!
Easy! And very perfect.
It has been operating for about 2 years!

I just recently started using reamp and was very pleased with the results. 👌🏼😁

Thanks for the input everyone.

DD ACH,

Believe it or not I've read 100% of the manuaI. I've also watched many Axe Fx videos. Despite these steps my interest in the discussion still lingers.

Thanks for the input though, DropDead ACH. 😁

Last edited:
DD ACH,

Believe it or not I've read 100% of the manuaI. I've also watched many Axe Fx videos. Despite these steps my interest in the discussion still lingers.

Thanks for the input though, DropDead ACH. 😁
Then you must have missed it somehow. I honestly have to look at it every now and then to make sure I have my ins and outs set correctly/at which point in the recording process requires switching input 1 source from analog to digital etc. Go to page 22 and it's there step by step, I promise.

For some reason, I thought the question was how to reamp a DI recording within your DAW lol. My bad for the misunderstanding.

SPDIF? - better than USB?
Have you tried both variations?
I am interested in your experience!
Is it worth experimenting?
I've pretty much tried all variations in the decade plus of Axe ownership. USB is just a path from your audio interface to DAW. In the case of using the Fractal, as the audio interface, the USB path is superb and the Fractal is a great interface. I use it quite often for laying down a quick idea but when I do a session I use the Axe, via SPDIF, to UAD Apollo audio interface (Firewire 800 to DAW). It gives me use of UAD Console which is an awesome zero latency monitoring setup. It's clean, accurate and easy.

Last edited:
What does the UAD Console offer that you weren't getting otherwise? I am very new to the various plugins and methods of home recording so always looking to see how others set up.

For best audio quality: record the direct digital signal of the Axe FX; Either one: SPDIF or USB.

The Axe USB works great as an interface and for guitar only recording of amp+FX variations and a DI. Typically, though, I'm using an Apollo 8 and recording SPDIF in a multi-tracking band session, not solo guitar. (Its does work well to use both Apollo + Axe USB as a composite device)

Apollo and UAD console and are first rate options for a studio or mobile recording environment with preamps and zero latency monitoring, various routing options, etc. If you're tracking or mixing a live band, a dedicated interface or a digital recorder is the way to go. Depending on the device, you may be able to add another 8 input tracks via an ADAT preamp unit.

OTH, if you're just recording a track or two at a time, or work mostly ITB with beats and Midi, then the Axe's USB interface is up to the task. On the Axe, you can also simultaneously rout in the critical additional things you'll need: keys, vocals or acoustic guitar through a preamp, additional Bass with a DI, a sub-mix of drums from a mixer, or even the FOH mix off the board, etc. The Axe is more cumbersome to change around compared to a dedicated recording/mixing interface, but if you stick with the same routing scheme or extensive inputs are just an occasional thing, and you really want to just play guitar and don't want the additional involvement and expense, you might not need an additional interface.

OP: If your main focus is playing guitar, and you want to avoid the rabbit hole of engineering as much as possible, I'd suggest just sticking with the Axe's USB, and monitoring off the Axe: Headphones or Out 1. The actual recording quality is as good as it gets. The most important thing to address would be really good headphones and monitors, to accurately hear what you're doing.

Last edited:
I agree with others. If you don't want to worry about much, just connect the Axe Fx 3 to the computer via USB and use it as an interface.

I don't do it that way, but I have 30 years of recording experience from both sides of the glass. I do most things via analog gear into a high end interface that is my clock as well. I record both a DI and the stero output of the AX3. If I need to re-amp I do so with a box that I can send instrument level back to the input of the AX3. I know exactly what I need before I start laying tracks and don't re-amp often.
I have more control on the way in if I need it (I can patch in a comp or a tape emulator, etc) .

James

Last edited:
The Axe's USB is your best option for recording in your situation. If you want to hear yourself through your monitors, without having to connect them to the AX3, set Logic's input device to the AX3 and the output device to your Scarlett. Create a new track in Logic with the input set to input 1 or 1+2 if you want to record stereo. Then turn on input monitoring on the track.

From the top menu, Record > Low Latency Mode can also be a big help, in addition to the other tips mentioned here. When done recording, deselect it again via Record > Low Latency Mode (top menu).

The Axe's USB is your best option for recording in your situation. If you want to hear yourself through your monitors, without having to connect them to the AX3, set Logic's input device to the AX3 and the output device to your Scarlett. Create a new track in Logic with the input set to input 1 or 1+2 if you want to record stereo. Then turn on input monitoring on the track.
That will work. The downside to monitoring through your computer like that of course is that adds latency to your guitar, which can make playing awkward. If you really want to use the Scarlett for output like that for some reason, I'd suggest connecting the AxeFX analog output to the Scarlett and turn off input monitoring in Logic. That will allow you to record through the usb connection from the AxeFX to the computer, but monitor directly from the AxeFX to your speakers, which will eliminate the latency.

Or simply connect your speakers to the AxeFX, or connect your speakers to both the AxeFX and the Scarlett. Or, since the Scarlett isn't serving any purpose in a rig like that, connect your speakers to both your AxeFX and the analog audio output of your computer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom