recording amp????

metalboy458

Inspired
im getting back into recording actual guitar amps. anyone have any suggestions on which i should get thats versatile enough to use for a while till i get some more? right now im thinking of either getting a mark iv or a marshall jvm 410. both of these amps seem to be pretty versatile. i just need to be able to get low to high gain tones from them. (i suppose even a 5150 ii would work as well?) i have a fender blues deluxe and a kustom combo for my clean tones (although im probably going to buy a ac 15 soon). i also may end up buying an attenuator so i can mic a cab and also go straight into my interface so i can use the redwirez stuff. along with a getting a reamp box. anyway any suggestions would be awesome.

Tbh, I've been experimenting with micing up a cab and using the amp sims on the Axe Fx II, just because I really love my cab and it sounds huge. Out of all the amps I've used on it my favourite is the Diezel Herbert so I'd recommend one of those!

Be sure to post the results!

oh and ill probably still use my ultra for layering and things. but i want the core of the sound to be coming from the cab.

Yeah, herbies aint cheap! I suppose a "do it all" amp would be a mesa mark v but again, not cheap. My recommendation is get an Electro Harmonix 44 Magnum and use your ultra through the cab man.

Or, y'know, buy a II ;)

IMHO I think adding any amp would add additional color to the Axe sound... not sure if this is what you prefer. I have a similar need (I'm studio only) so I decided on the investment in the Axe. My sounds vary from a modded Fender 58' to a EVH 5150 with some early modded Marshall.

My rig has the Axe Fx II, Fryette 2-50-2 with the Mesa Rec 2x12 (Celestian V30). IMO, the amps you listed fit this type of rig. I am very impressed with the rig sound. Direct and mic'ed options work extremely well for what I need.

The only issue is that greenbacks would be nice for some of the Marshall sounds... but I have most of what I need covered with this rig.

I would recommend taking your Axe rig to a local store and check out a few more options. You may find a rig that is more flexible and fits your needs.

YMMV

lol i suppose i could. i honeslty just kinda wish fractal would make a software version, kinda like guitar rig, gtr, amplitude and all those others. ide probably get rid of the ultra and just use that.

lol i suppose i could. i honeslty just kinda wish fractal would make a software version, kinda like guitar rig, gtr, amplitude and all those others. ide probably get rid of the ultra and just use that.

Why? The hardware version is great. Beofre you spend all your dough why not demo (15 days) the II for free, And use a cab like many here do andmaybe an amp. Then you would be able to everything you mentioned and a ton more.

I am not into metal but have you ever listened to Clark Kents metal stuff. He was using an Ultra, not sure if he has the 2 or not. Check it out. Or Not..................

Maybe I missed something. I have both Amplitube and iRig when I travel for my job. They do the same job as the Axe. Direct from Axe to any recording equipment works great for me. But I thought you wanted to record non-direct, mic'ing old school. I can record either way. Amplitube and iRig are poor man's version of the axe and would not be used with it. I hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom