Recording AES/SPDIF vs. Analog

I have always recorded using AES at 48k. Recently I simultaneously recorded the analog outs and found distinct differences in tone. Both with pros and cons and both sounding great. However, I find myself considering using the analog signal.

For those that have tried both, what made you chose your preference? Also, for those AES/SPDIF users using higher sample rates thank 48k did this drive you to analog recording or do you up sample or have mixed projects?

I have always recorded using AES at 48k. Recently I simultaneously recorded the analog outs and found distinct differences in tone. Both with pros and cons and both sounding great. However, I find myself considering using the analog signal.

For those that have tried both, what made you chose your preference? Also, for those AES/SPDIF users using higher sample rates thank 48k did this drive you to analog recording or do you up sample or have mixed projects?

I record SPDIF with my apollos, but will occasionally record analog so I can use the unison pre-amps to affect the tone and/or if the session needs to be at 44.1K and I don't feel like downsampling etc.

Both work great, but 80-90% of the time I'll go digital for better latency, ease of recording etc.

That is interesting. So the digital out has a lower latency than the analog outs? Do you know by how much? Thx.

I mean, it's so miniscule you may not even notice, but if you go from the Analog outs of the AxeFX3 into the analog ins of an interface (ie like my Apollos) you are adding one extra D/A conversion stage that wouldn't happen if you went Digital like AES or SPDIF. So technically you are adding just a hair, whether you can feel that superhuman level of latency is user dependent.

It eliminates two conversions; digital to analog from the output of the Axe FX and analog back to digital in your external interface. But yeah, the difference is usually quite small. Maybe a couple of ms at most.

Digital I/O does have the advantage of removing any possibility of added noise, distortion, or signal loss due to the analog signal going across physical cables and interconnects. It's as transparent as you can get since it's the exact same signal, sample for sample, that comes from the Axe FX.

USB direct with AFX3 as interface, or via S/PDIF or AES with no AD/DA conversion.
The best way to take best benefits from AFX3 quality with no tone losses.

USB has not been an option for me as it requires using different drivers than my RME interface.

I have always recorded the Axe through a digital output at 48k. Recently I wired the analog outputs to a patchbay which allowed me to record both signals simultaneously. I was surprised that to my ears the analog had a different character. A bit brighter and open on the top end. It also felt a little more like an amp in the room.

Since I have more projects asking for sample rates higher than 48k, given my setup, should I record the Axe via the analog outputs when recording above 48k? Or up scale the 48k?

I understand the cleaner digital signal path with less conversions is more mathematically pure but does anyone prefer the sound of the analog outputs? Just curious as I detect a tonal difference.

I do the same way as you. I also use RME interface and I don`t like keep changing drivers during a session. I will test and compare recording direct and get back to you.
I m also curious about what other members have to say about that.

S/PDIF to Apollo quad because it's 1 cable, signal is perfect and I can use UAD console to monitor = heaven.

If you hear that much of a difference, even a difference actually, there must be a mistake in the chain or you are not level matching the recordings and the volume difference could make you think there is a difference.

A/D converters and preamps may color the sound. You may like the sound better through the converters or preamp. One is not better, just different. Use whatever you prefer.

I connect through SPDIF for recording. I don't have the greatest preamps here so analog doesn't necessarily sound better, but it does seems to add a bit of sizzle and presence that isn't there with the digital output. It's very slight though.

I detect a tonal difference too with axe-fx II.
I recorded a dry track from Axe AES.
I reamped one track with AES Axe out in RME
I reamped one track with Analog Axe outs in RME

With a blind test, I prefer the Analog take.
Don't understand why...

I've always used in digital for less cables and less NA/AN conversions.

Back
Top Bottom