Recording a wet & dry signal at the same time

I've got my AXE FX III plugged into a SCARLETT FOCUSRITE 18i8 interface and studio monitors hooked into the outputs of the interface. I want to be able to record the tones that I have as well as my dry signal so that I can send it to an engineer and have it mastered. Can you tell me how?

So to clarify, by 'dry' signal, are you referring to a 'direct' track? used for 're-amping' with different amp or amp settings,
or are you looking for the same amp tone minus any 'effects' so they can be put on later?

Last edited:
Why not use USB output? USB1/2 records the wet out signal to your DAW, USB5/6 the dry signal. Thats the easy option.

Or the more complex option is to put out2 in the grid in axe edit, and directly link it to in1. Then send out2 to another input of your audio interface and record both out1 (wet) and out2 (dry).

But i find the USB option much easier, ymmv tho.

Vid here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/how-to-reamp-and-record-di-tracks-with-the-axe-fx-iii.138462/

+1

The USB option is very popular, but another option is using the SPDIF in/out, which works well for me. If you’re already routing audio through the Focusrite, instead of using USB, this might be a better option for you. It just takes a simple stereo RCA cable (75 Ohm preferred, but honestly has worked with non-75 Ohm cables) from the Axe FX III to the Focusrite. Make sure your session is set to 48KHz, and that you use the appropriate word clock (usually Internal) on the AxeFx III, and set the SPDIF/AES setting to SPDIF.

In the Digital I/O config (audio page of I/O Settings), set the SPDIF Source to Input 1. If you’re using Input 2 as your source, then one more step has to be taken. You need to set SPDIF Source to USB 7.8 and then set your USB Output 7.8 Source to Input 2. When you want to re-amp, set your Input 1 Source to SPDIF. This will take the signal from the DAW output, through the SPDIF Output of the Focusrite Input.

There are a few threads on the forum that cover this in more detail. So, if you’re not getting the results you want, just search for SPDIF or go back to the USB method. :)

Why not use USB output? USB1/2 records the wet out signal to your DAW, USB5/6 the dry signal. Thats the easy option.

Or the more complex option is to put out2 in the grid in axe edit, and directly link it to in1. Then send out2 to another input of your audio interface and record both out1 (wet) and out2 (dry).

Vid here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/how-to-reamp-and-record-di-tracks-with-the-axe-fx-iii.138462/
In regards to the complex option, is there anything that needs to be adjusted within a preset or global in/out setting?

Thanks!! I’ve read the instructions on this thread but I can’t find anything telling me the settings I need to adjust within the axe. My routing consists of connecting through the analog/XLR method. As I do want to use an external drive (I’ve edited my preset for this purpose via image) and still be able to track both processed and DI signals through my interface.

So I’m stuck and I’m very close to what I want but processed signal is heard in the DI signal :(

Attachments

• 1E827E7B-67FB-459B-B84C-48A6BB8FEF33.jpeg
    1E827E7B-67FB-459B-B84C-48A6BB8FEF33.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 27
If you're working with an audio interface and want to record both DI and Processed tracks, you can use configuration #4 or #5. See the instructions for whichever configuration you're using. For example, for configuration #5, the instructions mention the Axe-FX I/O Audio settings you'll need to set: Input Source and Digital Source. Your preset and your pedal will work fine with either of those two configurations (although there's probably no need for the Out2 block). However, as others suggested above, you might be better off with one of the other configurations that don't use spdif.

If you're working with an audio interface and want to record both DI and Processed tracks, you can use configuration #4 or #5. See the instructions for whichever configuration you're using. For example, for configuration #5, the instructions mention the Axe-FX I/O Audio settings you'll need to set: Input Source and Digital Source. Your preset and your pedal will work fine with either of those two configurations (although there's probably no need for the Out2 block). However, as others suggested above, you might be better off with one of the other configurations that don't use spdif.
Sorry for the delay, it seems that option 5 is my best bet. Now, i've had to adjust a new aggregated I/O within my DAW and finally have my ins/outs discovered. Problem solved. I'm buying my own axefx3 now. I appreciate you guys' help!

SOLD! :D

How does this work on AX8? There is only one USB output there

Run a parallel path between input and output and hard pan the two paths opposite each other. That will let you record a mono processed track and a mono DI at the same time.

With the I/O I have available I usually record the AFX-FX preset i'm recording with via AXE-FX analog output and use SPDIF to also record the 'direct' signal.

Also a good idea! Have to try that. Never used the SPDIF before. How do you record it in your hardware interface?

Also a good idea! Have to try that. Never used the SPDIF before. How do you record it in your hardware interface?
I have the Axe Fx II XL+ plugged in via SPDIF to my Scarlett 18i8. I use the Scarlett 18i8 Focusrite Center Software to setup the SPDIF audio connections. It's important to make the Axe Fx the slave especially if you want to run synthesizers via MIDI and have everything synced up to the DAW. Right now in order to run my Axe Fx II XL+ and my Axe Fx III, I have the former plugged in via SPDIF and the latter plugged into input 7 of the 18i8. Both signals are wet however...

Back
Top Bottom