Recording a roland GR55 via AXE2 USB???

FunkyFingers

I've been writing tunes with the axe2 and recording it into Cubase5 via USB, and now i want to add some string parts using my GR55, and the ony way i found i can do it is by taking the mono out of the GR55 into the input 1 of the axe,, but then i dont get the stereo sound of the strings which i want, does anybody know a better way of recording the GR55 using its stereo sounds? The Axe2 is my only audio interface and i dont have a mixer! I was advised to get a seperate interface such as a digital mixer, but thats more expence especially after forking out nearly £2000 for the axe!
Any ideas?
thanks...

I don't have any experience with the GR-55 at all, but having taken a quick look at a picture of the back panel of it, it has separate left and right outputs. Surely you can just run both into the L/R rear inputs on the Axe? Set 'Input 1 left select' to 'Rear' and 'Input 1 mode' to 'Stereo' in the I/O section on the Axe. Haven't tried this myself, but I don't see any apparent reasons why it shouldn't work :)

Some users plug the GR55 "GUITAR OUT" in the Axe's rear input 1.
The stereo "OUTPUT" from the GR55 is plugged in the rear input 2 (left and right). This signal is inserted anywhere in the grid via the FX loop block.

The GR55 can be configured so that only the modeled sounds feed the GUITAR OUT while only the PCM synths go through the OUTPUT.

Wow!... that has worked perfectly!...FX loop block,,of course,,i had this on the eleven rack too... I have got me some nice cool stereo strings added to me track now:)
Thank you so much for your help :)

Reactions: gpz
Have you tried to connect your GR-55 using its USB slot? And, what about connecting the GR in the Axe spdif in?

Last edited:
I've been wondering how I'm going to link my Axon AX 100 into my rig, and this sounds like the perfect solution. I'm a new Axe user and I've read the manual, but I'm still not comfortable that I understand this completely. If I want to run my analog guitar signal and a signal from the synth, am I right that all I need to do is the following:

1) insert an FXL into any preset that I want to add the synth to

2) connect the AX 100 output to Input 2

is that really it?

Thanks for the help.

Does the Axon have bypass mode? If it has, you should create a preset in it in bypass mode and then process this signal in the Axe using both inputs.
I own an Axe and the Roland VG-99 and this is how I connect them:

Roland VG output stereo ===) Axe Fx Input stereo. If I only want to hear the sound of VG, I create a preset in the Axe without any effects in the grid. On the second hand, if I want to process the guitar signal without VG processing, I make a preset in the VG in bypass mode.

Hmmm. I was thinking about running the quarter inch from the guitar into the Axe and running the output from the Axon to Input 2. If I could combine them using the FXL as described above, I could use the guitar controls to set the blend of the two running through the Axe. The limitation that I see using your method is that if I want to use both signals, anything I'm sending from the Axon will also go pass through all of the effects that I have set up for the analog guitar signal.

Please tell me if I'm misreading it. I'm new at this.

Yes you're right, but the Axe possibilities are unlimited, in fact you can create in the Axe's grid two differents processing chains, setting up one of them for the left channel and the other one for right channel. Try it using mixing block.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom