Recorded clip doesn't sound exactly like what I hear on the phones out.

I am listening from the same headphones, playing and recording, then listening to the recording.. so only difference I see here is the output of the USB vs output of the headphones. I think I should try recording from a DI interface.

Is it really the only difference? You're not clipping in the DAW, are you? Are you listening with your headphones through the Axe-Fx II, or another device? The same headphones, sure, but what about the same converters?

The headphone output frequency response is flat. The OP is probably having his ears play tricks on him since when he's recording he's getting some bone conduction from the guitar itself. As bone conduction is biased towards low frequencies this will give the impression that the sound isn't as bright. On playback it's just the recorded signal.

Thank you.
That's what I wanted to know.

this is similar to the fact that i don't always love my recorded tone, but love the in the room sound of the amp...gotta tweak for the recording, not your in the room sound....which is one of the tricky parts of recording guitars.

People have the same experience recording their own voice. You are used to hearing the resonance of your body mixed with the input of your ears. On playback its easy to think your voice hasn't been recorded accurately.

Plus you hear most of your voice through your skull.

I wish I could record the headphones out..
Not sure this was perfect, but I did a little experiment tonight where I recorded output1 and the headphone output at the same time for comparison. I just took a Y cable I had with two 1/4 mono jacks running into a stereo mini plug at the other end. Plugged one 1/4 cable into output1 L, and the other into the headphone output (which is plugging a mono cable into a stereo jack, but you just get one channel). So this puts the output1 signal on one side of the mini lug and the headphone signal on the other side of the mini plug. I put the mini plug into the line in jack of a simple handheld portable MP3 recorder. I used a simple mono amp/cab patch with cab sims on and made a recording while noodling around. On playback, the left and right channels sounded the same panning between them, which seems to indicate that the signals sound the same, at least when they're flowing into the same device.

Not sure this was perfect, but I did a little experiment tonight where I recorded output1 and the headphone output at the same time for comparison. I just took a Y cable I had with two 1/4 mono jacks running into a stereo mini plug at the other end. Plugged one 1/4 cable into output1 L, and the other into the headphone output (which is plugging a mono cable into a stereo jack, but you just get one channel). So this puts the output1 signal on one side of the mini lug and the headphone signal on the other side of the mini plug. I put the mini plug into the line in jack of a simple handheld portable MP3 recorder. I used a simple mono amp/cab patch with cab sims on and made a recording while noodling around. On playback, the left and right channels sounded the same panning between them, which seems to indicate that the signals sound the same, at least when they're flowing into the same device.

Q.E.D.

I have some old AKG's that it sounds decent in, but with very low volume and slightly less bass compared to what they are capable of. I can get it almost loud enough then the output clips. Is there some recommended OHM rating (these say 2 x 600 OHMS on the side of them)?

I want to buy some headphones that play nice with this puppy.

I'm having a similar issue and was going to create a separate thread on it. While listening to the axe fx 2 with the headphones directly plugged in the unit it sounds much more organic and clear than when hearing playback through my interface (apogee ensemble). Whether I use the spidif or balanced outs it all sounds about the same, it's similar but overall a little more muddy and more synthetic. Does this make sense? It's driving me crazy because I eq'd my tone with the headphones plugged directly in and really like what I hear, I just wish I could get the same tone through the Ensemble.

Ok you're using the same headphones but a different headphone amp I presume? If you send the recorded sound back to the Axe and listen how does it sound? I bet it sounds different.

I'm having to use an external headphone amp to drive my favourite headphones as they're low impedance. I've got 5 sets of cans, they all sound different depending on where I plug them in. Dedicated phones amp, control room matrix, Axe, Mac, Desk or interface all produce different results. Add to that getting them on your head in the same place you get to see why most people avoid mixing on 'phones.

Back
Top Bottom