Recorded A Song, How's It Sound Thru Ur Monitors, Or Hi-Fi's?

gigawatt

Experienced
Ok, I put this song together using a track without the guitars I found on Youtube. I converted it from vid to mp3, copied and pasted it into Garage band, then recorded a whole mess of guitar tracks. I didn't have my Presonis Sceptre S8 studio monitors yet, I used my Polk Lsi 15's for reference. They're really nice speakers but certainly not "near field." Anyway, I'd like some opinions on how it sounds on your speakers, be it monitors or hi-fi. Please mention what speakers you're using.

Thanks!

Enjoy;

I know it won't sound as good as individual tracks of each instrument considering the backing rack is an MP3, but I think it turned out pretty good otherwise.

Guitar sounds great. Especially the cleans. The staccato parts articulate well on the distorted guitars.

Hey thanks Will :), you don't think there's too much bass on the guitar in the palm muted parts?

sounds great here... Using a set of Altec Lansing desktop speakers w/sub.

Thanks guitarded; great username! :cool: Reminds me of the Family Guy episode "Petarded." That one was awesome ;).
Same question to you that I asked Will.

The cleans sound really good. There is some buzzing in the intro that I hear. I think the lead tone is really good as well but I would like to hear it more up front in the mix. I hear some flub in the palm mutes. A low cut might help. Overall, a really nice job!

If you're second guessing your work you could check it with a good pair of in ear monitors. Usually the dual driver kind sound best due to having a high and low frequency driver in each ear which allows you to really hear note, instrument, and vocal seperation.

The cleans sound really good. There is some buzzing in the intro that I hear. I think the lead tone is really good as well but I would like to hear it more up front in the mix. I hear some flub in the palm mutes. A low cut might help. Overall, a really nice job!

That's kinda the same thing I was thinking. What's that? you need to hear the leads more up front? NO PROBLEM! You don't have to tell ME twice. Spoken like a true guitarist. :D

If you're second guessing your work you could check it with a good pair of in ear monitors. Usually the dual driver kind sound best due to having a high and low frequency driver in each ear which allows you to really hear note, instrument, and vocal seperation.

I don't have any in ears but I do have a set of Blue Mix-Fi headphones, I'll have to give them a listen. ;)

Sooooo, I was listening to this thru my headphones early this morning (iTunes library)(nothing like a little Metallica in the morning :D), and it sounded like it was in Eb, or possibly D! So I was worried the track on Soundcloud was screwed up too :oops:. Well... I ate breakfast and back to the laptop I went. I played it again and it sounded ok, (E) and just to be sure it matched I pulled up the 40 track master, both sounded the same...and Soundcloud sounded ok too, like E standard.

Geez I thought you guys were listening to a bum recording. What's up with that iTunes? :mad:

It sounded really good thru the Blue headphones btw, the bass wasn't as pronounced as my monitors.

Listened to it using my cheap office headset and Sony WH 1000XM2 headphones at home. Both times I had the impression the low end on the palm mutes should be tamed a bit. It sounds great but lets the mix appear a bit inconsistent. Maybe a multiband compressor should be applied. Still a great job !

Thanks for chiming in CTP :) That's what I was hearing too through my monitors. I wonder if I could run it through the Axe III and use its Multi thingy for correction? I don't think Garageband has one... Or do you mean the individual tracks? It could be a byproduct of the layered guitars.

How do you like the Sony headphones?

Thanks for chiming in CTP :) That's what I was hearing too through my monitors. I wonder if I could run it through the Axe III and use its Multi thingy for correction? I don't think Garageband has one... Or do you mean the individual tracks? It could be a byproduct of the layered guitars.

How do you like the Sony headphones?

I would apply it to the palm mutes tracks only. The rest is perfect. Maybe dialing back the low end on those tracks would be sufficient.

I got the Sony mostly because I wanted good sounding headphones with noise cancellation for my transatlantic flights. They're doing a good job but I haven't had enough time yet to compare them to the AKG 141 I use in my home studio.

Back
Top Bottom