"Record what you hear" with Adobe Audition

Beefcake

Inspired
Hey.

It used to be that I could easily record whatever audio was being played through my interface, but I can't seem to get it to work anymore. (Been a long time since I would've needed this.)

Anyone know if it can be done in Adobe Audition (or any software) with the Axe-Fx as my only audio interface?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Adobe Audition wow! I didn't know that still existed. I remember when they bought Cool Edit Pro back when I used that as my first DAW.

Adobe Audition wow! I didn't know that still existed. I remember when they bought Cool Edit Pro back when I used that as my first DAW.

Sure it exists. It's going pretty strong as Adobe is a standard in certain parts of the audiovisual industry. It's gotten a lot more versatile since the CEP days, which I also remember well.

Beefcake, if you ever do need an app that does this and you're not using your AxeFX as an interface, Audacity (which is free) works incredibly well.

What do you mean, not using the Axe Fx? Why would anyone do that?

But seriously, thanks for the tip. Yeah, I tried Audacity, Reaper and some of the other free / cheap options way back when, but with Audition, Cubase and the now free Cakewalk (Sonar) my DAW needs are pretty well satisfied :D

Sure it exists. It's going pretty strong as Adobe is a standard in certain parts of the audiovisual industry. It's gotten a lot more versatile since the CEP days, which I also remember well.

What do you mean, not using the Axe Fx? Why would anyone do that?

But seriously, thanks for the tip. Yeah, I tried Audacity, Reaper and some of the other free / cheap options way back when, but with Audition, Cubase and the now free Cakewalk (Sonar) my DAW needs are pretty well satisfied :D

I don't use my AxeFx as an interface and sometimes need a DAW that can capture "what you hear". I usually use my stock Realtek soundcard for stuff like this as its just easier for me without messing with my good interfaces or anything. For example, there are times my students want to learn passages off of YouTube. We can record the piece they want using Audacity so we can bring it into Sonar (my DAW of choice), Studio One or Sequoia to jam over or manipulate if we need to change pitch.

For me to do this using my good interfaces is a pain, so with Audacity and the stock soundcard, I use it just for this reason and nothing needs to be configured like bit and sample rates etc. I let the Realtek handle all Windows sounds and all mp3's and wave files go through my good stuff.

Well that was a way more thorough answer than my quip deserved, but thanks!

I just use the Axe for everything in my workshop. It's a bit overkill as my day job is video post production, but playing through it is great for passing time while renders are running. And it makes for a great conversation piece because at least half the people in my industry are musical types on the side just like I am.

Back
Top Bottom