Record Axe FX II Audio

sifender56

Inspired
Hi guys,

I want to record the unprocessed audio (whilst hearing the processed sound) from AFII in Logic X and then be able to listen back whilst changing settings on the unit, but at the minute I can only record the actual processed audio, any way around this?

Thanks

Si

Are you recording via USB? If so, inputs 1-2 are the processed signal, and inputs 3-4 are the unprocessed dry signal. Setup your tracks in Logic to match.

Create a stereo track in LOGIC using input 1-2 from the Axe. Create a mono track, or two mono tracks, or a stereo track using input 3-4 from the Axe (your unprocessed signal).

Then, you can make the Axe the Output card in Logic Preferences, and on the front panel of the Axe on the In/Out menu change the input from the input jack you usually use, to USB.

Now, the downside, is, you can solo the LOGIC tracks you used to record input 3-4, and it will go through the axe so you can change presets and hear what different amps and cabs would sound like, but you have to SOLO those tracks and not send your entire LOGIC session through the axe, otherwise everything - vocals, drums, keys - everything, will come through and have amp/cab/effects of your guitar.

So, if you solo the dry tracks and play the track while the axe is in USB input mode, you can make a new set of stereo tracks using input 1-2 from the axe and print the re-amped sounds to new tracks.

but while you are doing that process, you can't hear the rest of the instruments in LOGIC. You have to sit through the entire song - unless you punch in for the verse, chorus, or wherever you are re-amping. So, sit through the entire song, while the re-amped track is being recorded, then undo the configuration process - set the axe input back to 1/4" and listen to your newly recorded re-amp track along with the entire LOGIC project and see it if fits in the mix better.

Hi Si! If you don't mind, I'll use your thread for basically the same question but with Reaper. Does anyone have some experience with Reaper? What are the possibilities to reamp in Reaper via USB? Is it the same like rodzimguitar68 has explained it for LOGIC?

Many thanks in advance.

Now, the downside, is, you can solo the LOGIC tracks you used to record input 3-4, and it will go through the axe so you can change presets and hear what different amps and cabs would sound like, but you have to SOLO those tracks and not send your entire LOGIC session through the axe, otherwise everything - vocals, drums, keys - everything, will come through and have amp/cab/effects of your guitar.

Would it be possible to program a plug-in (AU, VST, etc.) for sending/receiving audio via USB to/from AXE FX to do the trick?

Would it be possible to program a plug-in (AU, VST, etc.) for sending/receiving audio via USB to/from AXE FX to do the trick?

Hardware plug-in to your AXE FX like e.g. Lexicon MX200 have. How nice would that be?!

Hi Si! If you don't mind, I'll use your thread for basically the same question but with Reaper. Does anyone have some experience with Reaper? What are the possibilities to reamp in Reaper via USB? Is it the same like rodzimguitar68 has explained it for LOGIC?

Many thanks in advance.

Never mind, I just got it.

Thanks for that. It definitely worked but as you say the downside is...well...a downer! It would be great to be able to reap whilst hearing the track. I wonder if there's anyway of doing it? I have a tC Electronic Impact Twin AI...do you think if I created an aggregate device in sound preferences I could somehow get round this?

Thanks for that. It definitely worked but as you say the downside is...well...a downer! It would be great to be able to reap whilst hearing the track. I wonder if there's anyway of doing it? I have a tC Electronic Impact Twin AI...do you think if I created an aggregate device in sound preferences I could somehow get round this?

Yeah, it would be great to hear it live re-amping, and being able to tweak the output in real-time while hearing it in the rest of the mix.

Back
Top Bottom