Record AX8 Wah Expression Pedal MIDI Data into Logic X

Mesatallic

Hi,

I would like to record MIDI data from the movement of my expression pedal (External 1) into Logic X.

(so I can automatically control a wah block later on)

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

NOTE:
I've some experience with MIDI. I can change the AX8 Banks/Presets/Scenes on MIDI channel 1 via Logic X
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/changing-presets-with-logic-x-bank-not-working.138225/

I can also change channels on my Mesa MkV 25 via MIDI scenes and a Axess CFX4 box.

Last edited:
Input: (Need help with this)
I'm looking to get the MIDI data from my expression pedal (External 1) into Logic X.
I want to record the movement of the pedal, instead of drawing it in with the MIDI draw pencil.

Output: (Solved)
I've worked out how to control the Wah block via Logic X MIDI CC16 (General #1) assigned to External 2.
(Though only with the MIDI draw pencil)

Last edited:
Is recording MIDI data into Logic X from the External 1 pedal even possible with the AX8 via USB MIDI?

Could someone tell me, just so I can stop trying to do it.

Is recording MIDI data into Logic X from the External 1 pedal even possible with the AX8 via USB MIDI?

Could someone tell me, just so I can stop trying to do it.

In case you want to record Midi CC messages reflecting the position of an external pedal then the answer is no.

Thanks ChristThePhone, I thought so.
I read somewhere that Axe-Fx II has USB Adapter Mode MIDI thru and AX8 doesn't.

Is there any way to record MIDI CC messages from an expression pedal by bypassing the AX8?

Through some kind of 3rd party MIDI box maybe?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/midi_solutions_pedal_to_midi_converter.htm#bewertung

NOTE:
I'm using the Fractal EV-2 pedal.
I also have a Ground Control Pro I don't use. I think it transmits MIDI CC messages.

Last edited:
I'll try the Ground Control Pro first, then think about getting the Midi Solutions box and report back.

Thanks.

Hi,
don't know if this can help you, but the Daelectronics iCtrl-R Mini controller can transfer expression pedal data into Logic via MIDI. I did it several times for my studio productions.

It's a full MIDI controller, so you may not need all its functions, but for the price, the features and the very compact form factor, I find it to be a really effective tool for live and studio work.
I got mine a while back and I'm really happy with it: I used it to control iOS apps, plugins, DAW automations, the Atomic Amplifire and the AX8 and it always worked like a charm.

It can be ordered in a regular non-Bluetooth version or a Bluetooth loaded one (which is a bit more expensive); comes stock with 4 dual-function silent switches, exp input, MIDI out, USB and a very smart feature called V-slider, which is basically a proximity sensor that act as another expression controller, which also can be recorded as automation into Logic Pro X (check out their videos, it's really cool!).

As an added bonus the builder can also make custom firmwares (even user-programmable ones) to accomodate pretty much every need; there's one already developed for the AX8 scenes in case you need it.
Some hardware custom mods are also available (e.g. I added a latching switch input when I ordered mine that can work with my Mission SP-1 pedal).
If you check their Facebook page, you can also find videos of the iCtrl-R Mini controlling the AX8, the V-Slider and all the other features.

Hope this helps.
Rock on! :)

Last edited:
All working with Ground Control Pro.

Might get the Midi Solutions Pedal Controller box for a more compact solution.

My setup is:
Fractal EV-2 Expression Pedal > Ground Control Pro > Scarlett 2i4 MIDI in > Logic X

Ground Control Pro - Device name: Logic X on Channel 1

Control Change values from 0-127:CTL016 on Ground Control Pro. MIDI led flashing on Focusrite.

External MIDI track is recording on CC16 (General #1)

Last edited:
I can confirm that the Midi Solutions Pedal Controller box works.

Fractal EV-2 Expression Pedal > Midi Solutions Pedal Controller > Scarlett 2i4 MIDI in > Logic X

For the record, if you have an MFC-101, it can do this too.

Fractal EV-2 Expression Pedal > MFC-101 > Scarlett 2i4 MIDI in > Logic X

Hi,

Old thread, but I think I can contribute.

It is possible to workaround the AX8 limitation and acquire the MIDI CC values for the expression pedal over USB connection on your Windows computer without any extra piece of hardware.

You must assign your expression pedal to control some parameter in some whatever block in your AX8 patch. You may keep this block disabled if you want, so it won't affect your actual AX8 output tone, but it must be set to control some parameter even if it is in a disabled block.

If you open AX8-Edit, you can see the assigned knob moving in realtime as you move the expression pedal. So it is proof that the communication is happening: AX8 is in fact sending the desired data to the PC. We just need to "translate" it so that your DAW can understand it.

Now you need the software "Midi Translator" by "Bome Software". They have a free version for personal use that is sufficient for this use case.

You need to close AX8-Edit before trying to use Bome Software or else you get a Windows "out of memory" error.

Create a rule in Midi Translator. On the "Incoming" tab make sure you select the "AX8 MIDI" port and check "Capture Midi". As you move the expression pedal, you should observe incoming messages. Notice the part of the message that contains the value for the pedal.
In my case the message looks like this, for a WAH block with the pedal all the way down.

F0 00 01 74 08 38 05 00 00 30 F7

You message may be slightly different, but if you understand the principle, you will get by.

I notice that the 3rd last hex-pair is contains the data that I want, it gets incremented from 00 (0) all the way to 7E (126) when as I move my pedal.
So I will capture that value with a variable named "oo". I also notice that the 2nd last pair also varies, I don't need to use that value, but I need to set it to some dummy variable so it will pass the filter, I named it "pp".

So my trigger line is this:

F0 00 01 74 08 38 05 00 oo pp F7

Now on the "Outgoing", you select "Bome's Midi Translator 1 Virtual Out". Outgoing MIDI message is:

B0 04 oo

B0 stands for MIDI CC messages, 04 is the CC for Foot Controller (you can use others if you want), and oo is the Incoming value that you captured.

So it will spit standard CC messages with the pedal value on this virtual MIDI device, that you can capture on your DAW!

Now I did just a little fix... I noticed that for whatever reason the maximum value that I was getting with the pedal all the way up is 7E (126), that is 1 short of the MIDI CC's max value 7F (127). I could not fix this even though I have calibrated the pedal. So to have a full range controller, I added this workaround rule on the "Rules" tab:

if oo>=64 then oo=oo+1

I prefer to miss one value in the middle of the range than to miss the very max value.

Now you will need to setup your DAW to read this MIDI CC from the virtual MIDI device. I will stop here since this part is specific to each DAW, but if you're familiar with it, you can do whatever you want with it: record automation, use as modulation for virtual instruments, use as control surface etc...

Back
Top Bottom