Recommended power amps for Fractal Amp Fx II

sebluciano

I am hang great difficulty finding the right power amp to fun with my fractal axe fx II system for a live application. I have tried various 100 watt heads tube heads, including Marshall, Boogie and Bogner, and some solid state rack mount amps from QSC and Crown....I am open to suggestions as to what amps and models others have had success with in the past with this unit in a life application.

Thank you

Welcome to my world....

Right now I am seriously considering the Atomic 50/50 with their passive cabs. That way can run my mixed celestion cabs if I need to. I think the atomic amp is under rated.

The other amp I am pondering is the ENGL 560/50 (i like the boost option on the amp) to power my 4x12's and use the ax for pre and effects.

And get a couple powered wedges and go direct FOH as an alternative setup. (I want to retire my vintage Marshal)

Check the amps and cabs section.

However, I think its fair to say the favourites are:

for solid State:

Matrix GT1000/15000/16000FX (depending on your power and channel requirements)
Retro channel

VHT (Fryette) 2:50:2 or 2:90:2
Meas 2:90 (adds its own flavour, but great if thats what you like)

Obviously there not the only ones, but generally get the most love.

I find that I get most out of the Axe by using a SS amp. A tube head might be the ticket for a particular sound, but they often have a definite color and you'd have to play loud to get that juice....which is kinda what I want the modelerer to do at any volume.

I got a Matrix, mostly decided based on weight and having the in/out a guitarist needs . As long as you have enough power it really doesn't matter much with a SS amp (not sure about class D amps though...but they may have become good amps by now). The differences between SS amps are tiny compared to everything else in the chain (cab, guitar, amp eq etc etc). It's electric guitar, not HI-FI 8)

Back
Top Bottom