Recommended monitors or amps to practice with the Axe II

DFauvre

Inspired
I have the Axe II. Mind blowing. However, I miss playing through an amp. Playing through Sennheiser 650 headphones sounds great. Playing through my Mackie HR824s sounds accurate...but boring. What are other's doing? Using two amps? A PA? For writing and practicing? I write and sing, so head phones are not the best option unless I am recording.

Lots of threads on this. Search under keywords like matrix, atomic, FRFR. I use a powered atomic reactor cab - tube amp, frfr etc. Sounds great.

Anything that isn't north of $1500? The FRFR I am sure is amazing with two...

It's amazing with one!! When I turn it up the windows rattle and the sound is pristine!

I believe one is $950 shipped, but mine is a bit of a custom job so I spent a little more.

I find my little Mackie DLM8 very satisfying - under $700US. Yeah, I know it's 8-inch. Nobody seemed to tell it. It sounds like a 12. And it sounds right with the amps. I'm keeping mine.

I have studio monitors as well that sound very good - M-Audio BX8a - about $500/pair. And they do sound good but maybe almost too detailed or something. Since I got the Mackie, I haven't even switched back to the monitors.

My friend has a CLR, which runs a grand or thereabouts. Most impressive as well. My use is mainly home - at the gig we run silent stage. But the CLR would be a better choice for stage use generally depending on how you run. IMO.

Ive got genelec 8030's and had Adam a7x's. Both sound incredible with the axe fx II but I prefer the genelecs

whoops, read your entire post and saw you already had studio monitors. I tried it through a set of qsc k10, s and was pretty impressed

I've been using an Yorkville NX55P on rental for $35 a month until my name comes up on the CLR wait list, it does fine, gets really loud, retails for $900. CDN

I am using two Mackie HD1221 and I really love them. The Ax Fx must sound good through those HR824s though. I have a couple myself but haven't tried the Axe through them yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Axe II sounds fine through the Mackies, but it's stunningly through the Sennheiser 650s and I miss that amp experience. Playing through monitors lacks something in my experience. Good for mixing, but somehow not exciting for practicing and just enjoying the Axe II. I imagine given the gorgeous stereo effects that one needs two wedges or powered PA style speakers.

Got my Atomic Reactor active cab for under $500 on Ebay. They come up for sale every month or so it seems. I just looked - there are a couple older ones up now for $300. I don't know much about those older ones.

Back
Top Bottom