Recommended lights for Skype/Zoom/etc?

pharmd07

Experienced
Hi all. So my computer is in a room with absolutely terrible lighting. I need some better illumination so I don’t look like a dark blob when using Skype or Zoom. Do any of you guys have any recommendations for a reasonably priced, compact light that I can put on or near my desk to improve my lighting situation? Thanks!

Do you have a couple of lamps you can bring in? That's how I have my office set up. It's better if you have light on each side for balance, otherwise half your face will be too dark (or the other half will be too bright).

There are lots of inexpensive video lights on Amazon, or you could probably even use portable work lights from Home Depot (don't laugh, they work great although they're often too bright). See if you can get something adjustable so you can set a comfortable brightness level. You're not going for pro-quality here, you don't need exact white balance/Kelvin settings - you just want to be seen clearly enough.

Thanks guys.

Chris, I ended up ordering one of the lights you recommended from Amazon. I can easily place it above and behind my camera. Hopefully one light will be sufficient since it will be pointing straight at me. I can always order a second one if necessary.

These look great. Will these mount on a mic stand or do you need to use the regular stands they come with?
it looks like a 1/8" threading or something, don't quote me on that measurement, but seems pretty common for camera gear. i'm know adaptors exist, if that's the right size.

I ended up buying an adaptor. I think the threading on the light is 1/4” and my mic stand has 5/8”. So I bought a female 5/8” thread to 1/4” male adaptor.

hi guys,
Let me start off by saying I know nothing about USB audio :)
Questions please, is it possible to inject the FM3 into a Zoom call ? If I select microphone....i do see FM3.....i select it and it is very delayed , warbled....and of course the MAC internal mic shuts off. any way to have the FM3 in ejected and a mic with ZOOM ?
thanks !

hi guys,
Let me start off by saying I know nothing about USB audio :)
Questions please, is it possible to inject the FM3 into a Zoom call ? If I select microphone....i do see FM3.....i select it and it is very delayed , warbled....and of course the MAC internal mic shuts off. any way to have the FM3 in ejected and a mic with ZOOM ?
thanks !

Do you have a Mac or PC?

Yep that's like the poor mans light box. Big cardboard box lined with aluminum foil, put in a bright ass bulb, cover open end with a thin white sheet or thin white paper. Just make sure the bulb doesn't get too hot, or you may get an interesting surprise mid skype/zoom call. Not so much a problem these days with LED bulbs.

A big ball of white Christmas lights puts out a decent diffuse glow in a pinch too.

Yep that's like the poor mans light box. Big cardboard box lined with aluminum foil, put in a bright ass bulb, cover open end with a thin white sheet or thin white paper. Just make sure the bulb doesn't get too hot, or you may get an interesting surprise mid skype/zoom call. Not so much a problem these days with LED bulbs.
Lol well the lighting filter is made to take higher heat. But yes the led panel would be much cooler running.

Good! The fine folks here informed me about Loopback, which allows you to do some amazing audio routing on Macs. The software is $100, well worth it in my opinion. You can also download a trial version to see if it will meet your needs before you commit to the price.

Here is the Loopback website:

https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

I also ended up buying their recording software called Audio Hijack. It allows you to record any audio you can hear on your computer. You get a discount if you buy it along with Loopback.

Also, check out this thread. There is a lot of useful information on how to use Loopback:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-and-apollo-twin-for-guitar-lessons.160951/

Hope that helps!

You can tweak more than the light. I've installed VB Virtual cable to add a patch between the laptop microphone and a VST host, and I add a subtle touch with some VST

I use EQ and Polyverse Infected Mushroom Manipulator to add a little bit of low pitch and deep formant. Not to deform the voice or make fun, like at their crazy demo, but to make it look more like a BBC broadcast :cool:

This is the demo:

Good! The fine folks here informed me about Loopback, which allows you to do some amazing audio routing on Macs. The software is $100, well worth it in my opinion. You can also download a trial version to see if it will meet your needs before you commit to the price.

Here is the Loopback website:

https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

I also ended up buying their recording software called Audio Hijack. It allows you to record any audio you can hear on your computer. You get a discount if you buy it along with Loopback.

Also, check out this thread. There is a lot of useful information on how to use Loopback:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-and-apollo-twin-for-guitar-lessons.160951/

Hope that helps!
So I loaded LOOP TRIAL, and configured it for FM3 and internal mic to monitor. I see them being hit by the VU Meter.

Winn in Zoom, I select FM3, I hear guitar, always did.....but No internal mic, what could be wrong ?
Thx

So I loaded LOOP TRIAL, and configured it for FM3 and internal mic to monitor. I see them being hit by the VU Meter.

Winn in Zoom, I select FM3, I hear guitar, always did.....but No internal mic, what could be wrong ?
Thx

In Loopback, create an output channel and connect your internal mic and your FM3 to Output 1.

In Zoom, don't select FM3. Select Loopback.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom