Recommended Expression pedals for use with Axe FX II

dschaaf

Experienced
Hi,

Just wondering if there are any recommendations for expression pedals to use with the II? I have a bunch of pedals now....some from Mission that were for use with the HD500 but I am curious if there some "preferred" ones for use with the II?

Thanks,
Derek

I use 2 Ernie Ball JR's and I like the fact that they aren't like a wah pedal. It seems more fluid for my larger foot. Ive heard nothing but good things from Mission pedals, but I don't like the models that you have to push down to engage the pedal. I have always been a fan of Morley, auto engage style, pedals.

+1 for the Mission pedals- I have an EP1 with the spring load option that I use for wah and talkbox type stuff. Well made, very responsive and rugged. Thinking about getting a second one with out the spring too, in fact.

I also use a Rocktron Utopia expression pedal, and like it a lot as well.

awesome...thanks! :)

I have 2 Mission EP1's that I used previously with my HD500 but I found that they got really loose and would not stay in the heal position....they simply fall all the way forward to the full toe position. I have tried to adjust but without much lick :)

Thanks,
d

I read in the manual as well that it needs to be connected with a TRS cable as opposed to a regular patch cable...it this correct?

Thanks,
d

Yep, the Mission pedal I've got just has the single jack, so it takes a TRS cable. Not sure if they're all that way, though. Seems like they have a pretty good selection of options, and they do volume pedals, etc. so they probably could do one that wouldn't need a TRS cable. I guess you'd just have to use a Y cable or something with it then. I picked up some 3' TRS cables on Amazon (6 pack for $20 or something like that), and you probably could find cheaper options I was just being lazy. :)

If you get a Mission pedal with the spring option, it automatically pushes it back to the heel down position, which is cool. I've read other posts about how the ones without the spring need to be tightened occasionally- not sure if that was just a temporary issue that they've since fixed in production or not.

Is there a difference between a normal wah pedal like Dunlop Cry Baby and a Expression Pedal?

Most expression pedals have a much longer throw and have a linear behaviour.
The behaviour can be tweaked to taste on the Axe-Fx. To like or dislike the longer throw of a (typical) expression pedal is a personal thing.
"Mission Control" sells expr. pedals that look and behave like Cry Baby pedals, from what I read here.

BUt there is nothing in the way of using standard wah pedals? Can I connect a crybaby pedal to the ground control??

BUt there is nothing in the way of using standard wah pedals? Can I connect a crybaby pedal to the ground control??
A crybaby wah pedal passes audio through it, an expression pedal is just a potentiometer that changes resistance values throughout its sweep. Most devices are looking for that resistance to assign a value to the parameter you are controlling. A real wah pedal wouldn't provide those resistance values.

I have to agree with you on the Misson Pedals. I have two, and regret buying them for my Axe Fx II. I have no use for the spring loaded versions, so I can't speak to that, but the pedals do not hold their position after a while and flop forward. There is a tension mechanism which is adjusted using a hex key (allen key). Pain in the butt to adjust, and what's worse, is it doesn't work. Really, really bad engineering on this very important design point. If you need a pedal to stay in place, find another one. These are not the droids you are looking for.

I also use EV-5 pedals, both because of the problem you mention and also the weight (and price). But the Missions are very nice otherwise. I believe pedals that work on Line6 products need to be rewired to work properly with the AxeFx. It's something you can do yourself if you can solder. A lot of people on this forum also like the Roland FV-500. I've never used it but it generally gets good reviews.

As we have mentioned on this forum several times before. There were a small number of Mission pedals that were affected by an issue with a loose rocker that was difficult to adjust. This was was caused by a change in specifications from one of our component vendors and occurred about two years ago! All Mission pedals shipping since then have a completely redesigned torsion block mechanism that completely resolves the issue. Again, even though any remaining units with this issue will be long out of warranty, you can contact us at Mission and we will help you. James

Back
Top Bottom