Recommended Adjustment

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I've been working on some new methods of measuring and comparing amps the last couple weeks and came up with an improved matching technique. The crux of it all is that the default "CF Hardness" value is slightly low for a typical amp.

If you are using an amp model with a cathode follower, i.e. Marshall, Friedman, Bogner, Rectos, Diezel, etc., you may want to increase the CF Hardness parameter to around 7.5. It varies with the type and brand of tube (12AX7A vs. ECC83, Mullard vs. JJ, etc.) but 7.5 is roughly the mean.

It's subtle but you get a little bit more sizzle. Of course your ears are the most important factor and if you like it lower, then by all means, set it lower.

Last edited:
rec-info-sizzle-meter-02.png

I am going to assume that this is an AxeFx parameter only, as I couldn't find it on AX8 and not near my XL...

I asume it is "Preamp CF hardness", you can find it in axe edit in the "Dynamics" section, frontpanel it is "CF hardness" in the "adv" section.

Will try at gigs tomorrow and day after.

P.S. The name of the parameter varies, depending on firmware, hardware and editor. This is somewhat confusing.

Does this apply to Vox and Fender amps too?

Probably depends on the amp. Some fender amps (e.g. Deluxe/super reverb, AB763 circuit) don't have a cathode follower. Others (such as the Bassman 5F6-A circuit) do have a cathode follower. Vox AC30 does contain a cathode follower from a quick glance at the schematic.

I guess try it and see if it makes a discernible difference?

interesting. it's actually one of the advanced parameters I always increased in my amps by default. guess I was onto something :). 9.04 will most likely have it baked in....

Cool. It adds a little something I like. Was just getting a few recording patches together so this we quite timely for me. Thanks Cliff!

I think Cliff could say "take your third parameter to the left edge of the display, on the 2nd page of the edit menue, and add +2 to whatever value it is" and I'd no doubt think it sounded better

Back
Top Bottom