Recommendations on which OwnHammer/Redwirez IRs to get?

NickCapp

Inspired
I am not sure if this is the right place to do this but I am a little overwhelmed by the sheer volume of cabinet choices available from OwnHammer and Redwirez. I am new to the Axe Fx Ultra and am trying to figure out the best cab IRs to use. From searching multiple year old forum posts I am seeing a lot of people stating that OwnHammer and Redwirez are the best options. I am looking to try a few out but don't want to spend a ton of money on cabs.

If anyone is still lurking around out there, what would you recommend for someone wanting to play modern/progressive metal (Between the Buried and Me, Tesseract, Periphery, etc.)?

Like most of the old posts suggest, I have been using the FAS Modern and/or 5105 amp block with a multitude of cabs (German, Metal, Recto2, etc) in combination with the TS808 Mod drive block. I feel like I am almost there, but am still missing something.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

i personally wouldn't even consider redwirez at this point. they haven't done anything new in years and the current IR's from OH, Fractal and TAF blow them away.

beyond that...what cabs do you prefer? what speakers? what style of music....those have to be answered before any real help can be given.

i personally wouldn't even consider redwirez at this point. they haven't done anything new in years and the current IR's from OH, Fractal and TAF blow them away.

beyond that...what cabs do you prefer? what speakers? what style of music....those have to be answered before any real help can be given.

From the Axe Fx Ultra I enjoy the cabs I listed above. When I used to own a 6505+ I always enjoyed playing through Mesa and Vader cabs. I think most recordings that I enjoy have been through Mesa cabs but I can't seem to get into most of stock Mesa cabs.

I play a lot of types of music but the only one I seem to have real trouble achieving is a modern metal tone. As mentioned above specifically looking at Between the Buried and Me, Tesseract, and Periphery tones.

EDIT: I just wanted to make sure there was no confusion, but I realize the the bands I listed do not have the same tones. These are just examples of tones I love that I know are possible with the Axe FX Ultra.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom