Recommendations needed to run my AX8 through my Mesa 2x12

Hello, I'm posting to inquire about your recommendations on PAs to run my AX8 through my guitar cab, a Mesa 2x12. Thanks in advance!

I've used EHX Magnum 44, Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and Matrix GT1000. They all work fine, have advantages/disadvantages. It's a matter of budget and intended application. By the way, mine is a Marshall 1960B cab that i use. Also I recommend a Humbuster cable from AX8 to power amp and don't forget to use good quality speaker cable.

I have used the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 through a Mesa 2x12 with excellent results. I like the tone controls on the SD170, and it fit nicely on my pedalboard. Plenty loud too.

I have used the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 through a Mesa 2x12 with excellent results. I like the tone controls on the SD170, and it fit nicely on my pedalboard. Plenty loud too.

This is good to know. I will look into the Seymour Duncan. If it's less expensive than a Matrix, it may be the right thing for me, as I'm not playing large venues, and probably not for the foreseeable future

I've used EHX Magnum 44, Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and Matrix GT1000. They all work fine, have advantages/disadvantages. It's a matter of budget and intended application. By the way, mine is a Marshall 1960B cab that i use. Also I recommend a Humbuster cable from AX8 to power amp and don't forget to use good quality speaker cable.
Yeah, that's the one. I was going to get a Matrix GT1000 to run it through. I do intend to play live with it. Not huge arenas or venues, but possibly bars and mid-size clubs when or if things get back to normal. Is there a major difference between the Matrix and the Seymour Duncan?

Yeah, that's the one. I was going to get a Matrix GT1000 to run it through. I do intend to play live with it. Not huge arenas or venues, but possibly bars and mid-size clubs when or if things get back to normal. Is there a major difference between the Matrix and the Seymour Duncan?
Headroom! (power) Both are great for playing clubs and bars but only one is bigger, heavier and more expensive.

And just to be sure I'd be able to hook my AX8 into the Seymour Duncan PA, I wanted to understand the chain...

Guitar -> input AX8 -> AX8 L out -> input SD 170 -> SD 170 speaker out -> Cabinet

Is this correct?

And just to be sure I'd be able to hook my AX8 into the Seymour Duncan PA, I wanted to understand the chain...

Guitar -> input AX8 -> AX8 L out -> input SD 170 -> SD 170 speaker out -> Cabinet

Is this correct?
Yes! Also the way i setup my presets is so i go out of Output 2 (Left, before Cab Sim block) into the Power Stage 170 and leave Output 1 available to send to House PA if the sound person wants/needs it.

Yes! Also the way i setup my presets is so i go out of Output 2 (Left, before Cab Sim block) into the Power Stage 170 and leave Output 1 available to send to House PA if the sound person wants/needs it.
Yeah I figured it out yesterday after I posted this haha. I watched a video of Ola Englund setting up a preset, and he said to put in an FX loop out in between the amp sim and the cab sim in AX8 Edit, then the signal chain would be 2 separate things like so:

Guitar -> AX8 input -> AX8 L out -> FOH venue setup
AND
AX8 out 2 (FX send) -> SD 170 Input -> SD 170 speaker out -> Cab

One last thing! In regard to the signal that would be running through to the guitar cabinet on stage... This is kind of confusing to explain, but will that also have the guitar effects? Or must I put the FX Loop out line into the original out chain (the IR signal chain)? Or must I put the FX Loop out going through BOTH a separate chain and the main cabinet chain into the guitar effects I have programmed?

One last thing! In regard to the signal that would be running through to the guitar cabinet on stage... This is kind of confusing to explain, but will that also have the guitar effects? Or must I put the FX Loop out line into the original out chain (the IR signal chain)? Or must I put the FX Loop out going through BOTH a separate chain and the main cabinet chain into the guitar effects I have programmed?

See page 17 of manual for a starting point. This should help you understand the signal chain better.

See page 17 of manual for a starting point. This should help you understand the signal chain better.
Excellent. I believe my questions are answered! Thank you! I will leave with one technical question now: do you or anyone actually use the humbuster cables for this particular setup? Or is it just fine with a normal quarter inch cable?

Excellent. I believe my questions are answered! Thank you! I will leave with one technical question now: do you or anyone actually use the humbuster cables for this particular setup? Or is it just fine with a normal quarter inch cable?

I have the humbuster cables but have used regular cables (1/4 and XLR) at times without issues.

Back
Top Bottom