Recommendations For Using Axe-Fx II Outputs Live?

EVHalen

Inspired
Ok so my setup is a typical FRFR mono speaker for my stage volume, and I want to run another line direct into the board to get sound through the mains as well. What would be the best way to do this? I want to have the option of using the Output Levels knobs on the front of the Axe to control my stage volume and the sound man's signal separately. But obviously only one of the outs (Output 1) can be sent out balanced. So I ultimately have to make a decision to run one of the lines unbalanced. Which line should that be? My FRFR, or the sound man's line?

i'd give the sound guy out 2 - just request a DI box and give him the 1/4" cable from your out 2. it will be converted to an XLR, balanced anyway.

use the XLR for your speakers.

i've done it the other way for years, but recently switched since most sound guys don't like to give me their XLR directly to my axe. it comforts them to know a DI box is being used :) no difference in sound.

I run output 1 to FOH. Output 2 to the monitor. Currently my monitor is a CLR, prior the CLR it as a QSC K12. Never had a problem with either this way.

You are gonna want to send the balanced signal to the House. Either that or us a DI which balances the signal anyway so it is simply one more step. I run my QSC K12 off of a 15' unbalanced cable and get no issues whatsoever.

I run output 1 to FOH. Output 2 to the monitor. Currently my monitor is a CLR, prior the CLR it as a QSC K12. Never had a problem with either this way.

Cool, I'll probably just do it that way. Do you have any experience with any interference or noise coming through your monitor by using an unbalanced output?

You are gonna want to send the balanced signal to the House. Either that or us a DI which balances the signal anyway so it is simply one more step. I run my QSC K12 off of a 15' unbalanced cable and get no issues whatsoever.

Thanks! That answered my question!

I will agree with Chris on the fact that some sound guys simply want a Di feed regardless of what you can give them. I have been there before. The places I play now are pretty known quantities and so the sound guys know my rig, no issues. I would bring cables for both setups just in case with a quality DI just in case.

And I too, have never had any issues with my 15' cable.

I don't really want only my dry bass signal going to the sound guy, because I spent so much time getting a super tasty tone from my Axe FX2, so I have been instructing them to take the balanced output from my FRFR powered cab.

What do you guys think of that idea?

Back
Top Bottom