Recommendations for simple quality audio interface for iMac

mwd

Power User
We are setting up our singer her first mini studio and we are looking for a simple but quality audio interface for her to use. There is no need to record more than 2 channels at once and we will mostly record at 24/48.

Protocol can be USB or FW400/800. Our most important factor is monitoring. We need her to be able to monitor with reverb while recording dry via latency free software monitoring.

I use UAD Apollo. The console software is pretty easy to use but I feel it's a bit overkill regarding powered plug technology. Our band mate uses Apogee Quartet which was pretty impressive. I have had Focusrite which was an awesome interface with horrible software and I have a Babyface RME which is a fantastic interface but the Fireface software does have a reverb feed but is a bit intimidating.

Looking for suggestions:
1. Good monitoring software, easy to use with reverb.
2. 24/48 capacity.
3. Breakout cable system OK but prefer contained.
4. 2 inputs ok, 4 inputs acceptable, more is overkill.
5. Need phantom power for Blue Microphone.
6. Semi reasonable price in a fairly compact design.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

with horrible software
I've used Apogee and Focusrite stuff and have no qualms with MixControl -- what do you not like about it? Because my recommendation for these kinds of requests is usually a Saffire Pro box.

Last edited:
Focusrite. Mostly as their tech support is excellent and the sound is amazing. Mixcontrol is great as you could fine-tune your environment but you could live by without ever touching it on a Mac.

Sounds like an apogee duet would fit the bill perfectly based on the criteria

Other than that, focuserite is hard to beat

If you are on a tight budget presonus makes some great stuff for a small price

A zoom U44 is also an incredible swiss army knife, and portable as well!

...have no qualms with MixControl -- what do you not like about it?

MixControl was not user friendly for me. I struggled with the routing and was constantly in the manual and watching videos. I eventually got it but I'm far more a nerd than she is. MixControl and TotalMix were also my first software monitoring experiences so no doubt that may be a factor. TotalMix has built in Verb I can't remember if MixControl does?

Thank you for the recommendations.

depending on your daw, you can set up an aux track with a reverb on it set to 100% wet and then route that back out to the master so you can hear it while recording. no need for powered plugins and all that jazz.

Back
Top Bottom